Crotal Bell - 1st for me!

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
saginawian, ,xdanthemanx and one other guy (forgive me for forgetting your name) hit a 1800's era area this morning. Saginawian hit the only silver (2 quarters and a war nickel) and I got this Crotal Bell. My camera is a piece of poop so the pictures are not the greatest. The bell is intact and has NO above the split and a 4 (I'm assuming it means Number 4)below the split in the bell. Now I have no idea about these things so I was hoping one of you could enlighten me. I has a flower looking pattern that encircles the bell and that's about all I can tell you. Again I apologize for the crappy pictures.

DCP_1646.jpg

DCP_1647.jpg

Upvote 0

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Mine most closely resembles Jerry's middle bell. Cast shank, rings fine. I keep it in the center console of my car for show 'n' tell to prospective site owners [before the season ended, heavy sigh]; I get some jingles out of it motoring around. It came from an 1868 house site. Given local history, it could have gone under anytime from 1840 to 1910 or so.

Attachments

• Harness_Bell_Composite_90Jr.jpg
    Harness_Bell_Composite_90Jr.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 411

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
BuckleBoy said:
Jerry--I think your oldest bell is the third one from the left.

Any of 'em have a maker's stamp on them in addition to the number?

-Buckles
Buckles,far left bell is a "7",next is an "8" then the third from left with the drilled shank has an odd shaped "3" with a "z" or "n" at the very bottom. The only undamaged/intact bell has no markings and the silver plated one has pat dates of May14,78 and Oct 24,76
Jerry

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio Jerry said:
Buckles,far left bell is a "7",next is an "8" then the third from left with the drilled shank has an odd shaped "3" with a "z" or "n" at the very bottom. The only undamaged/intact bell has no markings and the silver plated one has pat dates of May14,78 and Oct 24,76
Jerry
The "z" or "n" is what I'm interested in...

and as I said below, I think that one is your oldest one. Only the old ones will have makers marks cast onto them.

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
BuckleBoy said:
Ohio Jerry said:
Jerry
The "z" or "n" is what I'm interested in...

and as I said below, I think that one is your oldest one. Only the old ones will have makers marks cast onto them.
Heres the bottom mark Buckleboy

Attachments

• n crotal.JPG
    n crotal.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 363

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Jerry--it probably said "o" on the other side for No. 3

Was hoping there would be a cool, early mark on it. Oh well...

OP
OP
Clad 2 meet u

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
xdanthemanx said:
maybe we'll do another group thing in the spring and i'll line up a few more sites for that one.

you never know what your going to get when you walk up on a site for the first time
i was hoping for some pre-1900's coins but what ya gonna do.......

DTM

I'm game Dan... Let me know when and where and I'll be there with "bells on my toes"

DannyBrooks

Jan 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites MX6
Man ...that thing is great. I have never found one and that is definitely up at the top of my list. Awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread