May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although last year will stick out as my best gold coin run ever (me 5, Dad 1), I think this story sticks in my memory the most.

A Celtic Gold Coin had been on my wish list since I started detecting, never really thought I would tick it off, but on the 19th July 2008 it finally happened out of the blue, no other indications of Iron Age activity but out popped this beautiful Gold Coin that at first made me think 'wow nice gold button'. Then reality hit, & I danced over to Dad to show off my new prize. I was clearly making such a song & dance that the farmer & wife came out the nearby house to see what all the fuss was about.
(mine is the left one, Wild horse type)
CUNOBELIN Gold Stater 20AD

This is where it became a little weird & amazing all rolled up in one:

On the 15 Oct 2008 (only 3 months later), Dad got his first Celtic Gold after 10 years detecting. The interesting fact was that it came from a site over 45 minutes drive away but was of the same ruler (Cunobelin), & the same type but a different variant. His was much nicer to look at, being crisp & more centred but mine won hands down on rarity.

So a year I will never forget & can always be reminded by picking them up & thinking of the craftmanship of the so called 'Barbarians' that made them nearly 2000 years ago. 8)

Experimenting with new camera:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 693
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 688
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 687
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 691
Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! What a stunner :thumbsup:
You got my vote :wink:

(and the tune of your happy dance was. . .?)

Well done!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watercolor said:
WOW!!! What a stunner :thumbsup:
You got my vote :wink:

(and the tune of your happy dance was. . .?)

Well done!

It doesn't need votes as they both made the Banner in 2008 :wink:

Wild ape waving...

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru, just curious, did you get to keep your 5 gold coins?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
Cru, just curious, did you get to keep your 5 gold coins?

yes they were all from seperate farms (1 gold coin on its own doesn't count as Treasure), although it cost us quite a bit of money to keep them, as we gave the farmers half its value.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like your style CRU,can tell you like what you do.And sharing it with your dad got to be the icing on the cake. :thumbsup: It was good to read your story and know the feeling of finding something Cool.
I'll have to try the Ape man dance next time. :laughing7:
You guy's take Care,& Best to ya!
Pete, :hello:
Me and the old man don't really click to well besides he's getting up there in age as well. :-\

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good felling isn't it. I believe I have also found the find or finds I had been waiting for, but dug them before I realized it's what I would have wanted. ;D No Celtic here obviously, but we can get that same feeling off certain Old silver, early military, or local tokens. It's rather odd you both wait so long, then each find one, and they are different coins, but that's what makes detecting so interesting.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two of the prettiest ponies one can lay their eyes on. :notworthy:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:o Nice Gold coins!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful gold coins :icon_thumleft: how does anyone value those :dontknow: what is used if you had to split the value with the property owner just curious ? Great finds :thumbsup: Dd60

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
Beautiful gold coins :icon_thumleft: how does anyone value those :dontknow: what is used if you had to split the value with the property owner just curious ? Great finds :thumbsup: Dd60

I emailed the UK leading Celtic Coin dealer & asked for a quote (purchase price). Gave one farmer £200 (quote was £400), sale price close to £600 (maybe more now) :-\ The other farmer we gave a Very Rare Celtic Silver Coin valued at £350 & several other items of value.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CRUSADER said:
Deepdiger60 said:

I emailed the UK leading Celtic Coin dealer & asked for a quote (purchase price). Gave one farmer £200 (quote was £400), sale price close to £600 (maybe more now) :-\ The other farmer we gave a Very Rare Celtic Silver Coin valued at £350 & several other items of value.
Heres simular coin and the price is less to buy. I think the farmer got a better deal.
http://shopping.erol.co.uk/product/Cunobelin-Gold-Quarter-Stater-Celtic-Hammered-Coin-007950.html

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rodgerdodger said:
CRUSADER said:
Deepdiger60 said:

Heres simular coin and the price is less to buy. I think the farmer got a better deal.
http://shopping.erol.co.uk/product/Cunobelin-Gold-Quarter-Stater-Celtic-Hammered-Coin-007950.html
Nope, pretty sure we got the better deal, as I still have the coins :wink:

Your link is for a QUARTER Stater, research prices for a FULL Stater.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CRUSADER said:
rodgerdodger said:
CRUSADER said:
Deepdiger60 said:

Nope, pretty sure we got the better deal, as I still have the coins :wink:

Your link is for a QUARTER Stater, research prices for a FULL Stater.
:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread