CS belt plate from field hospital with damage, nice copper, and more relics!

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
York PA, Edisto Beach SC, Shepherdstown WV
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I had an incredible Tuesday digging in Virginia with my friend Isaac! We hit quite a few sites but the last site we got on was loaded with incredible history! My best find was this, my first belt plate! (finally!)

IMG_0289.JPG

Perhaps this doesn't look like much, but it is a field repaired sheet brass clipped corner Confederate Belt Plate! The backside is pictured here, and there are two solder marks where the iron wire hooks would have attached. These were likely made locally in the South, and they did not hold up. There are two intriguing qualities on this plate. First are the two holes punched by a square nail to repair the plate when it broke in the field. The second is the damage on the right side of the plate. It is period damage, and when you look at the context where it was found, it appears a story begins to emerge. It was dug at a CS field hospital site where a little less than 100 CS soldiers died from their wounds after a large civil war battle. The right side of the plate is mauled, and this was not found in a place that would have been plowed at all. It seems totally shredded. I can only wonder if the right side was hit by a projectile or a piece of shrapnel, and if so whether the soldier made it or succumbed to his wounds at the field hospital. It's a sobering thought. But the recovery of it brings back the very likely forgotten story of a Southern Soldier, who may be buried in the mass grave with his other comrades nearby. It's finds like this that really make me realize why I do what I do.

I also got a musketball there and Isaac got a killer CW related find. I found some other victorian relics there, got a nice suspender buckle there, a 1917 S Merc, two reigns guides from the same hole, a nice skeleton key, a harmonica reed, and more! I also got a great 1817 Large Cent, two fired three ringers, and a small pistol ball.

FullSizeRender copy 12.jpg FullSizeRender[1] copy 6.jpg FullSizeRender copy 13.jpg FullSizeRender[2] copy 6.jpg FullSizeRender[3] copy 4.jpg IMG_0290.JPG IMG_0291.JPG FullSizeRender copy 11.jpg IMG_0292.JPG

The next day before I left Isaac got most of the good finds! I got a V nickel and a toy soldier though!

FullSizeRender[1] copy 7.jpg

It was a great hunt and I can't wait to do it again! Happy Hunting everyone!:headbang::icon_thumleft:

Upvote 25

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Huge congrats Luke it was awesome to
See you finally get on your first. That location should still be loaded. Hell, my find was less than an inch deep only 6" from the building foundation! What an incredible piece of history. I would tell the story but it would be a give away for our site!!! All I can say is that it was an early war field hospital and camp used by CS soldiers!!!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going relook at the junk buck i swear i may have one or to belt plates just like that ....................cool finds

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That plate is a super find and the location of it and story behind it makes it even more special. I sure would go home with a big smile if I pulled that out!

OP
OP
Pacivilwarluke

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
York PA, Edisto Beach SC, Shepherdstown WV
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Huge congrats Luke it was awesome to
See you finally get on your first. That location should still be loaded. Hell, my find was less than an inch deep only 6" from the building foundation! What an incredible piece of history. I would tell the story but it would be a give away for our site!!! All I can say is that it was an early war field hospital and camp used by CS soldiers!!!

Most certainly still loaded! I mean the last target I dug there was a dropped .58 ball so that gives me hope haha! Crazy how our best finds didn't look like much until we cleaned them off and realized what we had! Thanks again man, always a blast! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread