CSA Button + Colonial Coin in SC

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Wow, what a day! Hangin with Carolina Tom in the Low Country - a two day hunt moving into Day 3 tomorrow. We had a good day yesterday at the Civil War skirmish site we call Bullet Creek because it's give up about 70 Civil War bullets in a few trips - and very little esle but bullets. Tom had a great find he will be posting soon. So we go to the second site this afternoon, an old Plantation and combined Civil War site. I hit two great finds - first an unexpected Colonial coin, looks like a King George, but not as clear as many I've found when I lived in NY area. I'm not posting back because there's nothing to see. But my best find and first ever was...CSA button!! Wow, what an honor to find this one. Really looks great. The back is still filled with rusted dirt as shown. Haven't done anything with it. We ate dinner twice at Waffle House (no I'm not proud, but it was good:-). Can't get damn images right, sorry. They are showing up as right, but not posting that way...

Attachments

• CSAback.jpg
    CSAback.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 6B21E728-FDF7-40E0-9322-FEAED277BC97.jpeg
    6B21E728-FDF7-40E0-9322-FEAED277BC97.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 103
  • bulletsimage.jpg
    bulletsimage.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 115
  • CSAbuttonfront.jpg
    CSAbuttonfront.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 156
  • KGimagecorrect.jpg
    KGimagecorrect.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Upvote 36
OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks, all. Yes, I actually found it with $80 detector from Pawn Shop. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good as in this case. Seems like it's ok to carefully dig the dirt out of the back then?????

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s an awesome find. It doesn’t look like it needs much cleaning other than some soap and water. I usually soak in peroxide to remove crude without having to scrape off with a toothpick or fingernail. But toothbrush the surface with mild soap and water. Rinse and let dry- totally dry. Then coat wit Vaseline or petroleum jelly and let sit for a day. Wipe off the petroleum jelly with a clean soft cotton cloth or towel and then display.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, all. Yes, I actually found it with $80 detector from Pawn Shop. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good as in this case. Seems like it's ok to carefully dig the dirt out of the back then?????

What a Find .
I'm still hunting my 1st CSA , but those Darn Shot Gun Hulls keep showing up instead.

About the Back side I assume it's a Tin'Back 'Local' IMO it looks filled with GA Red Clay or Rust .

If it is a Tin-back the Face stood up very well.

Ill take fired lead all day any day as well.

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Huge congrats Bergie, you hope/think you might have an eagle button.....then CSA appears....that's the definition of excitement!--JB

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button, congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread