CSA Plate and other relics. Is it Genuine?

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went and saw a digger today that wants to do some trading with me.
There are a few items I am interested in, and of course a CSA plate is at the top of my list.
I took some pics of the plate and other items. Was wondering if you guys could be of some help with these items/
The Patina on the plate looks a little off, but I have never dug a plate.
I'm really standoffish, when I first saw it I said to myself it is a fake, but it does look similar to some in my Kerksis book
After looking in my Sydney Kerksis book, I think the bottom of the S on the plate in question seems a little kicked out to the left.
Would anyone care to help me with this one.
He also had a few swords and a nice set of undug spurs, but I have no idea how to date or tell authenticity
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0316.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please get the exact dimensions in millimeters. It looks burned. Makes me wonder. These have been reproduced.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Please get the exact dimensions in millimeters. It looks burned. Makes me wonder. These have been reproduced.

I will have to bring my calipers with me next time. I definitely have my doubts, and it does look like the patina might have been done with chemicals.
Thanks for responding smoke.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just checked Steve Mullinax's book on the Confederate Buckles. I cannot find a match for it, although that is not definitive by itself.

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks suspect to me. Is what he wants to trade for in line with the value of an authentic CS plate?

D.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks suspect to me. Is what he wants to trade for in line with the value of an authentic CS plate?

D.
We never discussed monetary values, or what would what trade for, as I didn't have my items with me.
It was a spur of the moment trip, where I was just to come by and see what he had to offer.
The more I look at the patina, the more I shake my head no...

I'm guessing an authentic plate in that condition would probably sell from a reputable dealer for $1000+ depending on the rarity and the dealer, of course.

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something does not look right ..,... The bullet mold looks only a few yrs old

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I am ALWAYS suspicious of anything for sale that has " C.S. or C.S.A . " on it. Soooo many fakes out there !

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many CSA buckles does he have that he is willing to let one go?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went and saw a digger today that wants to do some trading with me.
There are a few items I am interested in, and of course a CSA plate is at the top of my list.
I took some pics of the plate and other items. Was wondering if you guys could be of some help with these items/
The Patina on the plate looks a little off, but I have never dug a plate.
I'm really standoffish, when I first saw it I said to myself it is a fake, but it does look similar to some in my Kerksis book
After looking in my Sydney Kerksis book, I think the bottom of the S on the plate in question seems a little kicked out to the left.
Would anyone care to help me with this one.
He also had a few swords and a nice set of undug spurs, but I have no idea how to date or tell authenticity
Thanks for looking.

I agree it does 'look' burned .

That stuff is hard to authenticate by a scrub like me, if you have any doubts ..I'd go with my Gut .
Good Luck
My friend.
Davers

ewtaylor

Mar 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key looks exactly like the one on the Oak Island show

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The hooks look like they’re on the wrong side to me, what ya’ll think?

9D7DC3C3-6361-4ED9-BF65-A8EAE4043CB6.jpeg

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm certainly no expert, but from what little bit I do know of CSA buckle's, I'd have to lean towards a purposely aged reproduction. Just my opinion...

"D"

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Depends on how you hold it.
I just realized what a doofus statement that was,lol. Bonepicker did you find out any more about this buckle? To me it looks like it has a fake finish to it. These buckles I know are cast with a lot of copper in them which is why when I dug mine I was seriously wondering if it was fake until we had it authenticated by Larry Hicklen in Murfreesboro,Tn.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just realized what a doofus statement that was,lol. Bonepicker did you find out any more about this buckle? To me it looks like it has a fake finish to it. These buckles I know are cast with a lot of copper in them which is why when I dug mine I was seriously wondering if it was fake until we had it authenticated by Larry Hicklen in Murfreesboro,Tn.

We all make mistakes. Thanks for responding and adding your input.
I have decided to stay away from the buckle. I normally don't buy relics, and the ones that I dig are priceless.
I tend to just keep the relics I find, as they are more special, and usually when I dig it I feel more certain about their authenticity.
However I may not ever dig a confederate plate, and the one in question would have been acquired in trade.

The owner claims he acquired the plate and other relics from a older digger, who has a huge collection, and did a lot of digging back in the 70's-80's.
I had my doubts, and wanted to see what others here would say.
I think it is an aged reproduction. I'm going to give the owner the benefit of the doubt, but I aint touching that plate.
Thanks to all for responding....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread