l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, seems correct to me, rarity as well.

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/connecticut_coppers/ConnecticutCoppers.htm, also Whitman's Encyclopedia of Colonial and American coins is a good reference book. The B.1 is an easy one to identify and the only obverse it was used with was 5.9. Don't get too excited about the rarity though. Don't get me wrong it is a really nice coin, but a lot of Connecticuts are R5 or rarer and it is really only when they get to R6 that they really start to get valuable.

OP
OP
S

Stan Milgram

Mar 14, 2012
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
T2, AT Pro, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Connecticut Coppers, also Whitman's Encyclopedia of Colonial and American coins is a good reference book. The B.1 is an easy one to identify and the only obverse it was used with was 5.9. Don't get too excited about the rarity though. Don't get me wrong it is a really nice coin, but a lot of Connecticuts are R5 or rarer and it is really only when they get to R6 that they really start to get valuable.

Yeah, didn't think it had much monetary value - saw one on Ebay for $90.

I've been to the PGCS coin facts page before, but it doesn't say anything (as far as I saw) as to how the types and subtypes are determined. Am I missing something? How do you know how to determine the name and numbers of the coin by looking at it? I don't have the Whitman book.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really need a reference with pictures and descriptions of all the varieties. I don't know of any online reference that shows all varieties. Many are identified by the punctuation in the legends and other small differences so careful study is needed.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Frank. I saw this too, but no pictures of the '86 types. I'll have to read through the text more carefully, but it's really hard to type a coin with a verbal description.

Sorry! I was unsure as to the Date of your' coin. Maybe the link below will shed some light on your query!

Connecticut Coppers - 1786

I also found this: The Sixteenth Annual C-4 Convention Sale of U. S. Colonial Coins, check out catalog items 160 and 161.

http://www.coinraritiesonline.com/download/2010_C4_Catalog.pdf?PHPSESSID=cvbacaqg4dck6el42rss162o97

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions