CTX 3030 buzz in headphones

Dr Freezelove

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey everyone-

I'm new to this machine and new again to the hobby. I was able to purchase the CTX 3030, with some help from some of you. My problem is that the headphones (stock Koss) buzz when I plug them in both wireless and straight in. Now I know there are some discrimination patterns and levels that would have some noise, but this sounds like a short. Also possibly unrelated Saturday at the beach for no apparent reason the signal just started bouncing through the numbers. I stop moving the detector. I lift off the ground same story, shut it off, take out battery, same. I try to push throught and after a couple of solid signals it stops. I'm ok for a half hour and starts all over. I would say this happened 4 times, but trying to work through it was the best approach.

thanks jeff

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Koss headphones are not made to the quality of Detector Pro's and this is why you get the Buzz. On the problem of the erratic behavor of the machine at the beach, this sounds more like a EMI thing. Was there a PI near you? Did you turn off your cell phone? Maybe some ham radip operator transmitted at that time. Some times this is cause by just having sand in the coil cover.
http://detectorstuff.com/2009/08/05...ay-by-first-texas-lead-engineer-dave-johnson/
You must read Dave Johnson's essay.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The erratic behavior sounds like EMI as sandman said. Does the buzz in headphones still occur if you take don't use headphones and use machine speaker?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bart, I never thought of the speaker making the buzz too.:icon_scratch:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah just trying to narrow it down. If it is the actual machine sending the buzz signal or if its possible headphones. I have seen headphones do this, not often but it happens.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say BUZZ you don't mean threshold do you? That is normal.
Also If you are running the detector to hot for the area it will be jumpy.
Remember the old saying "sometimes less is more"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread