CTX 3030.. First day.. First Finds.. ups and downs! WOW

TonyTomcat

Jun 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys, I'm excited and I just have to share this. Today in UPS I got my new CTX 3030 father's day present from minelab outpost, I opened it up and holy cow.. was there a lot of stuff in the box. I had no idea they sent goodies with the machines themselves. (that was technically my first find) So I got the machine out and probably against the manual put it together battery and all and had to go try it. Holy Heck was it complicated. I had no idea what I was looking at, it was terribly confusing and I was certain I had made a mistake. So I called them up where I bought it. The guy told me that was his first impression too, then actually went to his truck, got his ctx and gave me his settings he runs. Told me what to look for and even knew what numbers where what, and after about half an hour on the phone I went in my back yard where I've searched 15 times or more with my old Teknetics Gamma.

I found modern day coins, 17 Wheats, a silver quarter, 3 silver dimes, and a toy fire engine!! Triple what I'd found with the teknetics. My wife has a camera on the phone and I'll have her post some pictures when she's home from golfing. Until then I'll be in the park up the road garbaging up on treasure. Hooray!

Upvote 3

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've only had my ctx 3030 for less than 3 months but I can tell you that so far I believe its the best detector I've ever owned. Before that, it was the explorer se (I took to the ctx easily because to me its very familiar to the explorer just without all the iron blank out issues and its ability to see small non ferrous targets in thick iron is amazing). I've been hunting for almost 24 years and have owned many detectors. As complicated as it seems its actually very simple. My only complaint is the weight but I bought the minelab pro swing and that allows me to swing as long as I want to.

Probably the most important thing to remember about this detector is how much difference can be made to the depth ability just by ratcheting up the sensitivity 1 or 2 clicks. Only a click or 2 makes a HUGE difference.

The only thing you need to do is spend time with the machine. It will come to you. Don't make it complicated.

I hunt in all metal mode and max out the sensitivity as much as possible without making it unstable. I use smooth response, combo mode and 75hz for iron then 200, 400, 750 and 1200 hz for the other quadrants.

Turn on and go - easy peasy.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my CTX 3030 a little over a year ago and what a difference it has made. Since I got the 3030 I've found 2-2 reales, 5 half reales, 20 large cents, 6 colonials, seated half, 2 seated quarters, 3 seated dimes, seated half dime, some great buttons, a number of nice standing liberty quarters, walkers and a host of other silver coins and other artifacts. Most of the credit goes to the detector, but a lot goes to my motivation to go to older spots because I had a new detector. I'm still learning how to use it as it does so much. Good luck!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im sure I could find most of the stuff I find with the CTX with many other detectors over time because to me its a case of "the nut at the wheel". I will say that I'll bet I can find more targets faster with this detector than with any of my old ones ...so that will ultimately result in more goodies in the bag for any given season. Im not seeing any depth advantages yet but I need more time with it. Its stability on old homesites littered with iron is remarkable. Which is why I was eager to retire my explorer. I had some iron patches that would nearly shut that puppy down.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions