Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The weather still is pretty rough here. I'm still hitting the beach daily but would like to try some places inland. I have a question. When pinpointing with the standard coil and looking to cut out a plug or dig an area where would the center be? Would the center be the shaft when the signal is at its loudest or is it in the front of the shaft?

Upvote 0

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When using the pinpoint on the machine it is center of coil and the strongest signal, I use the wiggle method most of the time though.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
When using the pinpoint on the machine it is center of coil and the strongest signal, I use the wiggle method most of the time though.

Thanks. That is what I figured but wanted to confirm it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Alternatively, you can approach the target with a wiggle swing until you first get a signal and mentally mark that spot, then place the coil in front of the target and wiggle swing backward toward the target. The point halfway between the front of the coil in the front approach and the back of the coil in the backward approach is exactly where the target is located. Works for me without using the pinpoint mode.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
The weather still is pretty rough here. I'm still hitting the beach daily but would like to try some places inland. I have a question. When pinpointing with the standard coil and looking to cut out a plug or dig an area where would the center be? Would the center be the shaft when the signal is at its loudest or is it in the front of the shaft?

Some shallow targets will beep 3 times (when the coin is flat). Target is in the middle on the second beep.

Some shallow targets beep twice (when the coins on it side). It's in the center of coil inbetween beeps. You might lose this one at the right angle.

On targets deeper than ones that cause multiple beeps, it's x marks the spot. If you use pinpoint make sure it's activated outside the signal area. If it's more than 4 inches backing off until signal fades it will be at tip of coil.

If you set up signal garden with clad you will see the multi beep thing. My ctx reads depth funny. It's stuck at 4"s sometimes. Once I crack the surface it's accurate.

Gl -Joe

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
I find it to be 1-2" behind the little "U" of the tip of the coil.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It maybe worth investing in a smaller coil as well, done well with that change in some of the inland areas

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it to be 1-2" behind the little "U" of the tip of the coil.

You have to preface that with HOW you are pinpointing. The factory method, this would be wrong. The strongest signal is under the center of the coil. If you are using the wiggle-back method, then the target is basically in that "u" notch.

You also have to consider that depth plays HUGE factor. A deeper target is much easier to pinpoint because only the center strip is reacting. Very shallow targets are being picked up by the center, the front and back tips and the outer edges. The factory pinpoint method doesnt work well with near surface items, for these you need to use the wiggle-back.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
You have to preface that with HOW you are pinpointing. The factory method, this would be wrong. The strongest signal is under the center of the coil. If you are using the wiggle-back method, then the target is basically in that "u" notch.

You also have to consider that depth plays HUGE factor. A deeper target is much easier to pinpoint because only the center strip is reacting. Very shallow targets are being picked up by the center, the front and back tips and the outer edges. The factory pinpoint method doesnt work well with near surface items, for these you need to use the wiggle-back.

You are correct Sir !

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using the factory method I find the target is usually just very slightly behind the center of the coil...

strick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread