🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I got my dream machine a minelab CTX3030!!!
I know I am in uncharted territory coming from Fisher F2 to AT Pro and now my first minelab ever the CTX3030.

I am going to use the presets to start with so I can get better aquainted with the machine.
Once my local dealer gets an Andy Sabicsh book I will get it and study over the winter and hopefully be more productive in the spring.

So far I'm impressed with the overall balance of the unit..on my first use I swung it for 3-4 hours with no arm fatigue.
I know there is a huge learning curve but like any machine if you take the time to learn it you will be able to know what it's telling you.

If anyone has any useful newbie advice it will be greatly appreciated.
NH

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Scratchy tones, move on, they're trash.

Solid tones, dig them :) Don't get addicted to the FE-CO numbers, don't even look at that until you're more comfortable with the sounds. Pretty soon you'll be pretty darned comfortable with the CTX linguistics :)

And stay with the stock settings for say about 10 hours of hunting or more. More is better :)

OP
OP
W

Waynos

May 28, 2015
Keene New Hampshire
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome thanks for the tips!!
Really looking forward to being able to dig with confidence.
On my first hunt I dug a 57 wheat penny and a pair of toenail clippers lol
I had no idea what I was doing and was happy to get any coin on my first run.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the CTX is a great machine. My advise would be to learn the machine well and dig all tones. Its no Ferrari like the Deus so nice easy swings is the way to go. As far as settings go I max out the sensitivity (Auto) and run wide open. Being what it is and not the fastest machine, it's important users hear iron instead of discriminating it out. I cant tell you how many coins Ive found mixed with nails or other iron. Like previously said, dont bury yourself in the numbers. Although the readings are very accurate 90% of the time, I've found coins and relics that were wayyyy off the mark in the readout. Have fun with that CTX and good luck!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
As Scrappy says, this machine is a slow swing.

Swing slow sweet CTX, looking for coins to bring home, swing slow sweet CTX, the treasures are just hiding below......

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go over to you-tube, Minelab put out a series of videos on the CTX, that's a good place to learn how to navigate the controls on your machine. There's quite a few informational videos as well. Also, go get yourself the CTX 3030 Survival guide, handy little booklet for leaning how to adjust all the controls. I just got my CTX 3030 this past week and have used it 3 times and already feel very comfortable with it. I run an open screen, auto sens, deep on in combined mode. I set my tones so that iron is very low and then stepped up the tones to 4 very distinct levels. I'm already digging good targets mixed in with iron. Go extremely slow and listen from repeatable tones and keep an eye on the cursor, you can't trust the numbers on deep stuff, but, on the shallow targets it's rather accurate.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrappy is totally right, get used to the machine the numbers will come. I just received The CTX 3030 Handbook, Andy Sabisch.. only about 25 pages in.. it gives a much better explanation than the stock manual. You can do a search for VDI numbers for the CTX for coins, ect, it helps. Take a peek here or other "metal detecting forums" and look for exhange2 programs (ie...gone hunting program) for the CTX. You can drop and drag these into the exhange2 program. I modified and downloaded some awesome hunting programs. If you have other question search the forum or send a question.. GL & HH

OP
OP
W

Waynos

May 28, 2015
Keene New Hampshire
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!! This information will help a lot.
I was going to add the gone hunting and the coin harvester and use those to get comfortable..meantime the Andy Sabicsh book should arrive at my local dealer on Tuesday for purchase..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions