Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a couple questions regarding the 6" and 13x17" coils.
For a normal sized-coin target (dime-quarter), how much depth does the 6" coil lose in manual +3 sensitivity?
How much depth does the 17" coil gain?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
I currently have the 18" coil for an se pro.
I'm thinking about getting one or both of the coils mentioned above.

I tend to hunt at parks, churches, and courthouses. The coins are at natural grass-decay depth (6-10" for a pre 1910 coin). Some areas have high trash from torn down buildings on the same site. Some are fairly clean.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As every condition is different you can't nail down that answer. I have hit coins with the 6" at 7" with good tone. All depends on surroundings,

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a purposeful test with the 17" in a grassy yard next to a creek. Uncles property previously unhunted, spent an entire day gridding it out with the stock coil, went back the next day with the 17" and pulled a few Pennies at 12". Both days was only clad but the stock was 8-10 with varied signal strength...granted this was great soil.

I can't help with depth on the 6", it helped me pull some smaller buttons out of a spot I've hit previously but they were all only 4-5" deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread