CTX - Good for Water Hunting?

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey everyone,

I'm seriously considering buying the CTX and would love your feedback. A big reason is just to upgrade from the DFX for superior performance in finding deep silver coins on land.

However, I would also want to use it for water hunting. I would probably be doing up to chest-deep wading. Mostly fresh water lakes, and I would also be interested in taking a couple trips to the ocean.

My question for the CTX users is, have you had a good experience using it in the water? I've heard that the battery casing could have leakage issues. If it isn't a good water machine I might consider doing a Deus/Excalibur combo instead.

Thank you,
-W

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ctx wading is great, keep your battery seal clean and you data port tight. The newer version of ctx makes it even better with the updated seal

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ctx wading is great, keep your battery seal clean and you data port tight. The newer version of ctx makes it even better with the updated seal
what he said - friend had to send 3 back that leaked - 4th ones the charm

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just as a safeguard I use 1" wide duct tape and tape the latches on the battery down. I know of a few people who have accidently popped the latches in the water and fried the CTX. some people also use wide rubber bands around the battery box.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t taken mine into the water yet, but as I understand it the ones marked with “new battery sand-seal, new armrest lock”, have illuminated the leakage problem.

My plan is to take it in the water this year whilst it’s still under warranty, so if it does leak then it gets repaired for free.

I wasn’t out all that much this year, but found over 20 silver coins, silver jewellery, and 2 gold rings, so I’m pretty pleased I got one.

Good luck.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX gives me piece of mind when hunting in wet weather. You can't do that with the Etrac. The CTX is submersible to 10 feet but I use the Excalibur for water hunts. If you are going to dunk the control box on the CTX, be sure to give all port "O rings" a wipe of silicone grease to insure watertight integrity.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. But I don’t submerse mine usually, I do shorelines. I bought a Excalibur ii for my water hunts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions