CTX stops working

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Now when turning on the CTX it reads USB Connected. You can not do a thing . This is another problem the CTX has been having. I called ML today lets see how long this one takes to fix. Just received my new plastic screw for the armrest today an put it on. Got ready to go hunt turned on CTX to check battery power and the USB connection came on. Very good machine when it works but this is getting very bad. :BangHead:

IT is working now. Opened cap and let it air out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had a Battery Problem it wouldn't take charge anymore just kept blinking green on the Charger. They sent a new one right out for me so I can't complain. I contacted them through EMAIL and they got back to me the next day. They should fix you up quick.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope you get it back quick, Aug is the best month down there....
or break out the old Excalibur.
And you have a trip planned?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always hated it when the detector I planned to use doesn't work. Once I got to my beach and detector wouldn't turn on and I just inserted new batteries. Got pissed off and drove home only to discover I inserted two batteries wrong. But it was jinxed so I grabbed the Excal and went back to enjoy the rest of the day. We only get so many days ya know.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Hope you get it back quick, Aug is the best month down there....
or break out the old Excalibur.
And you have a trip planned?
Going out in an hour , NE winds last night. Rain on an off today so beach isn't crowded. Low tide in 3 hours. Excalibur II ready for action. Damn it feels so much lighter now for some reason. Lol

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least it didn't go down during the prime season and your backup machine is up to the task. :icon_thumleft:

Im2stoked

Jan 23, 2013
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My friend has had to send his back 3 times, he just sent it back today, this time a bad O-Ring might have let water in and corroded everything, thank god for EXCAL back ups!.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
My friend has had to send his back 3 times, he just sent it back today, this time a bad O-Ring might have let water in and corroded everything, thank god for EXCAL back ups!.
Seems to be a lot of bugs in this machine for water hunting. Greenmeanie just had a battery problem first I heard of that. Seems all agree needs work. Only one person really thinks this machine is problem free and he is always finding the best stuff. Lol

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Is he really using the ctx like he says. Everyone I know says he's using the excal every time they see him???

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sooo glad I didn't run out and buy a CTX like I wanted to. I have read of too many people having a myriad of problems. Even one the local hunters I know who only grass hunts had to mail his back.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I am sooo glad I didn't run out and buy a CTX like I wanted to. I have read of too many people having a myriad of problems. Even one the local hunters I know who only grass hunts had to mail his back.

I know how you feel. Mine is being worked on now but I still think it was a good investment. I really think it never will be a machine, that you can use in the surf above your knees. If the surf is rough forget it. I believe you will be able to put it under water safely in calm water soon. They are working on the problems. In the six times I used it in the wet, I could not believe how well it worked. It is so fast, loud, and I could tell what most targets where. If you live by tourist beaches and hunt a lot this is a must have machine. You can use it a year and get 90 percent back if you sell it. When mine gets back she is staying on the beach and very, very shallow water. Never taking it in the surf. It is also almost impossible to swing it fast enough with the seawater program on at waist deep anyway. If your in salt water and don't use the seawater your wasting your time anyway.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Is he really using the ctx like he says. Everyone I know says he's using the excal every time they see him???

Not sure who your referring to? But if every one you know tells you something it is probably true. I was talking about a local up here in OC Maryland. His CTX has never had a problem and he bought it when it first came out. He is always finding the best stuff. He stays out of the surf and only hunts the wet and dry sand.
I see you have a CTX how do you like it?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His 3030 may have broke down and he went to his back up.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
I don't like it. A local metal detector outlet is selling it for me.

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
I wanted a dual purpose machine, and understood the downsides.

I've only had 9 hours on the CTX so I'm grinding my way through the trial and error period.

Some things that I have noticed is that I accumulate a lot of sand in and around the battery seal. It just finds a way into that groove.

Yesterday, I started using a zip lock bag wrapped with rubber bands and it all but eliminated the sand issue and worked well in the mild, thigh deep surf.

If Minelab is listening, the base of the arm rest guide is about two inches too long. It would be nice to have an option of bagging the machine and this prevents a tight seal. I have an idea for that area that doesn't involve a dermal ;)

I have not dunked it, but have worked a few hours in the surf with no issues.

I sell boxloads of latex gloves, so that and a zip tie are on the roster.

Glamorous or not, I'll do whatever it takes to add to the protection. You would think spending $2k+ would give one peace of mind, but I'll do my part. Minelab should do theirs and take heed of these complaints and redesign the weak point.

Spoke to one of the local legends and a recognizable big time ring hound on another forum, and he flat out stated that the CTX was the best beach machine he has owned. He and others have had leak issues and thought they mainly had to do with sand/o-ring issues.

He gave me a checklist of things to do when cleaning the machine down to using a loop to inspect the o-ring.

Though too early to draw a lot of conclusions, I've enjoyed the flexibility of this machine more than any of the others I have owned. (Fisher 1280, Minelab Sov, Minelab Excal, and White Dual Field)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The current issues are the only thing keeping me from owning one because I do think the better technology is certainly in the machine. Maybe in a year or so they'll have all the "in the real world" bugs worked out. Things just don't always workout in the real world as they do on paper. They'll eventually smooth it all out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions