CU says they no longer order

timtron

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to this. Stopped by my local CU, of which I'm a member. Asked them to order 2x boxes of halves. Teller stated that the vault person wasn't in but took my info for her to call me back. Got a call back just for her to say they no longer order boxes and that I'd have to go to the Fed's website to order....

Is this common or am I doing something wrong?

Upvote 0

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to stop by a larger bank that orders coins regularly for retail customers change orders.
You might need an account of course but they are more apt to accommodate your half orders

Credit Unions have no need for halves other than to fill CRH requests and that is not really what they are in business for even if you are a member.

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KFS is right on. She thinks you were looking to order new rolls from what you are describing. Go to a huge branch near a mall or large strip mall were business will be likely to order boxes of dimes and quarters. The tellers there would be more than likely familiar with what you are trying to do.

OP
OP
T

timtron

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to another branch and they wouldn't order either, however they gave me the $450 worth they had.

That was the good news.... working my way through the box but all rolls appear to be shiny new (year 2000) halves

OP
OP
T

timtron

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st CRH attempt and log
1 partial box of halves ($450), 45x MWR (all shiny 2000's), skunk

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to this. Stopped by my local CU, of which I'm a member. Asked them to order 2x boxes of halves. Teller stated that the vault person wasn't in but took my info for her to call me back. Got a call back just for her to say they no longer order boxes and that I'd have to go to the Fed's website to order....

Is this common or am I doing something wrong?

I don't think it is possible to order directly from the Fed unless you are a bank or courier. Regular Joes usually can't even walk into the Fed building.

OP
OP
T

timtron

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, however the teller today said to order from the mint...

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this line as well: "They want you to order half dollars from the usmint website". They just don't want to pay the fees. I have been turned down at a few places. I eventually got two banks to agree to order them for me. One bank turned me down and another branch of the same bank down the street said okay.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have ordered boxes at Chase Bank all over town.
I stopped in at a branch I do not visit a lot. It pretty close to work and I was actually making a deposit but I asked if they had any halves. The teller checked and no one did. I asked if they could order me a box as I go by the branch often on the way home. The teller took my name and number an said he would call be back and let me know. He called a couple of hours later and said they can't order halves anymore.
I will be going by another branch 3 miles away to pick up a box today and will be ordering more from another branch about the same distance away.

You will run into branches that do not want to mess with halve orders but in general I have found that larger bank a usually willing to order halves at least in reasonable volumes. I have even had banks that I do not have an account with offer to order them for me. I am assuming they were assuming I had an account but they never checked but these were banks like BofA and Wells Fargo.

At the same time I have had a small bank refuse to sell me $30 in dimes because I did not have an account and they checked at least by asking me if I had one.

OP
OP
T

timtron

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regularly bank with the local CU, which after asking, I determined they don't do any business accounts, which explains the lack of coin.

Do you have accounts with the banks you use? I'm in Richmond VA, I don't think we have a Chase, but I'm going to try Wells and BofA.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont get discouraged....get even sounds like a great new dump bank ...thats what i tellem if you wont order them ...then i can dump them here instead

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions