Cub Scout neck slide while metal detecting

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_2466.jpeg

IMG_2467.jpeg

I was out metal detecting, and I found this a couple inches down in my garden. It appears to be a cub Scout neck slide. It was obviously for a wolf ranked scout.

This brought back a lot of memories, because I was in Cub Scouts at one point also.

I am unsure of the age, but I do know the following:

My house was once at church in the 60s. For the LDS church. It was also a school at a later time. After that, it belonged to three other people, then me.

Anyway, it’s a very interesting find, at least in my opinion. If someone can help me figure out the age, that would be even better. Any thoughts on the age?

Jared

Upvote 14

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking 1960's. Any signs of gold plating?

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the neckerchief slide. it is a general Cub Scout slide. Originally all cubs wore the same slide until they became Webelos then they wore a different slide. The slides for the different ranks, wolf, bear, tiger and lion (lion is the new kindergarten rank) didn’t come into use until about 20 years ago (Not sure of the exact year they started that). Your slide would be at least 20 years old, but could go back a long way. That is the slide I wore when I was a Cub back in the late 1950s. Yours would have had the gold colored plating but it has been in the ground long enough for the plating to be gone.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

(I have been a scout leader since 1986 and was a scout myself and Junior leader from 1957 to 1972).

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are always fun to find. I wore one exactly like it in the early 1970's. I'm sure that would be an accurate decade for you.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2137301

View attachment 2137302

I was out metal detecting, and I found this a couple inches down in my garden. It appears to be a cub Scout neck slide. It was obviously for a wolf ranked scout.

This brought back a lot of memories, because I was in Cub Scouts at one point also.

I am unsure of the age, but I do know the following:

My house was once at church in the 60s. For the LDS church. It was also a school at a later time. After that, it belonged to three other people, then me.

Anyway, it’s a very interesting find, at least in my opinion. If someone can help me figure out the age, that would be even better. Any thoughts on the age?

Jared
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my favorite finds was a slide like this that was packed with coins! I felt bad that some little guy put all his coins in there for safe keeping then lost it all. Most coins were 50s or 60s if I recall and a 1917 wheat. If only the dime had the same date!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread