Cuba detecting yieds two 18K Gold, 3 Silvers and lots of Coins!

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuba detecting yields two 18K Gold, 3 Silvers and lots of Coins!

Hey all,

Finally back from my trip. I found lots of cool things including an 18k white gold wedding band, an 18k gold religious medallion of the Cuban 'Our Lady of El Cobre', a silver ring, a silver toe ring and a silver bangle bracelet. Also found lots of Cuban coins! I spent $30 that I found and it’s not included in the pics but I did buy some duty free booze with that change. :tongue3: All post revolution coins unfortunately but still cool! Found costume jewelry as well but didn’t include it in the pics.

The only mistake I made was with the silver bangle bracelet I found. I had a small container hanging from my neck and I thought that the bracelet was junk jewelry so I broke in one spot and bent it to fit it in. What an idiot I am because upon closer inspection to me the bracelet looks very old. It was found very deep in the water, shoulder deep. I was digging and digging like crazy. There was another signal I dug like crazy for two hours and couldn't get to it so I gave up. The detector even read it with discrimination maxed out on the Sea Hunter MK2 so it must have been something very big, right?

The silver items I've found are very black and are flaking. I've acid tested them all. What do you folks think of the bracelet, modern or antique? I'm banging my head right now :BangHead:, what a rookie mistake. Are any of you familiar with the design on the bracelet?

Other than that, the 18k gold comes in at total of 13.71 grams combined. My detector and scoop are more than 50% paid off. Woo Hoo!

DSC09992.JPG DSC09993.JPG DSC09994.JPG DSC09995.JPG DSC09996.JPG DSC09997.JPG DSC09998.JPG DSC09999.JPG DSC099999.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought we couldn't go to Cuba? Well, I guess I don't know where you are from? I heard only filthy rich Americans could go?

OP
OP

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Canadian.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the bracelet is really old. I'd guess no older than 40s. Very cool that you were allowed to hunt.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt have taken the chance. You mean that no one at immigration, questioned what you were doing with a metal detector? Was it a busy beach, or quite? I would have thought you would stand out, like a sore thum, but then, some are just lucky.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you had fun and made it back to Canada safely. You may possibly wanna read the "Keep Your Mouth Shut" thread, lol,
kinda a "heads up", about posting things that can be construed as ........... (no matter where in the world you are).

I wish Americans (Canadians and all) understood the terrible conditions many of our Cuban neighbors suffer under. We have a very large Cuban community here, as I know, work with, and have many Cuban friends. Most have nothing but terrible stories of life there.
(They apparently were not among the "elite" there)

Anywhoooo...... if you are fortunate to travel there, Haiti, or many of our depressed neighbors facilities, please remember the small common man there. Take a full suitcase (clothes, shoes, grooming supplies, things we take for granted), and leave with an empty suitcase and pockets. Many there, are no where near as fortunate, as many of us.
(that goes for many worldwide, who suffer under anothers' cruel hands)

all right, I'll put bleeding heart cat back in it's cage........

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Very cool. I want to hear "the rest of the story".. Where do you detect in a country that outlaws detecting ? What are the penalties if caught ? How do you even bring a detector through customs if it's not allowed ? Stuff like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions