Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup....this stuff is treasure. Some of the finest wood in the world. People have been building fine furniture from this stuff for a long time. Some of the nicest in the world. Fine musical instruments too. And it sells for big bucks too, when the right pieces get milled the right way. photo-460.JPG got this nice crotch piece the other day. Shes a beaut !! photo-461.JPG 10 feet long. My friend "alaskan chainsaw man" and I will be slabing and drying this beast. photo-462.JPG from there it will be milled how ever we want. This crotch piece slabbed and then cross cut a half inch under the crotch wil yeild an 8 foot by 28in board with the classic flame shaped grain pattern. Ill let you guys google it. Furniture made from it is pretty pricey. Its a protected species so we can only harvest storm damage or permitted removals. That one fell on a house last week. Helps to know someone with a big dump truck. Natural gold baby !! Just gotta be there when the county is cleaning up. This stuff is dense, heavy, and hard. Time for the big saw. Youtube alaskan chainsaw mill. over 25$ a board foot on that crotch piece.
Irs not uncommon to see furniture priced in the 20-30 thousand dollar range. Unbelievable money for this wood !!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is gold, some of the greatest wood working stuff in the world. The old girl fell down in the last blow. I got to reach into this old beast and touch its heart. The wood was glowing. This was not even the main trunk and still strained the crane. Gonna cut it rack it and stack it before rainy season starts. Sad thing is I gotta wait a year befor its cured enough to sell and work with.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but after that year has passed, you are gonna have some of the most beautiful wood available and those who know you have it will be storming you door for it! Love Mahogany Furniture, etc! Whatever comes out of that will be a true treasure as the wood is limited and may not been seen like this again for quite some time.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine anything made out of it will be gorgeous.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a treasure like that 1500' of cambara already cut into 1"×8"×16' for 500.00.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine anything made out of it will be gorgeous.

Screenshot_2017-02-27-21-06-33.png
Screenshot_2017-02-27-21-25-17.png
The real treasure is in the grain patterns. One of the pieces I have now im hopeing will have a similar pattern as seen in this guitar. Old growth crotch pieces usually produce some good grain effects. Screenshot_2017-02-27-21-29-42.png
Yes susan even the simplest wood working projects become works of art. The first furniture picture shows several of the grain patterns that are most sought by the furniture makers. The yacht industry buys any and all of it if they can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everytime one of these trees are cut a biologist for the county must sign off on it , and 3 more must be planted. There were 2 other "treasure hunters " from miami waiting to get some too. They had herd about this tree all the way up there and were waiting as the county started to cut and remove this beast. This tree fell on a house in the middle of a poker game and one person was injured with some bad lacerations on his face. They all got lucky. Screenshot_2017-02-27-21-14-29.png
Check out the price for these guitars and you can see why we scramble for it. A single board of good thickness thats been properly cut to maximize grain pattern can net some good money. The sad thing is much of this wood gets trown in the land fill or chipper if we dont rescue it. Im getting good at picking the pieces that will have good grain effects. I look at the sapwood and growth rings and try to rescue the best pieces.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does make beautiful stuff . That first chest of drawers looked very old. Is that yours?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish bob, those are images off the net. I could never afford to buy that chest, but I can certainly build something similar. I think that chest was for sale at 8000$ and change. A lot of furniture made from cuban mahogany can be well over 30000$.I hope to build some nice pieces in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread