Cumberland Culture Tools

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Ran into this surfing around.

First & only known pure Cumberland site. Last word I know of, they've only ever found one endscraper. They just didn't make or use them. But lots of uniface sidescrapers, modified blade tools, &c.

Tool :
http://www.lithiccastinglab.com/cast-page/2005septembergraversidescraper.htm

Assemblage (3 years ago) :
www.arrowheads.com/eventImages/cumberlands.jpg

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice link uniface. Thanks.

There were some guys that were coming to the show we had in Portsmouth every year that were from somewhere in central Kentucky that had a site they hunted that was a Clovis only site. They had discovered by accident in a remote area and had kept it all to themselves(can you blame them?) and the the artifacts they had from there was just fantastic. Everything from the site was Clovis related. They had never found any type of artifact from any other culture at the site. I have some pictures somewhere and I'll see if I can find them and scan them to put on here. The pieces were very impressive. One thing that just amazed me was they had two finished Clovis points that had actually found the removed channels flakes for them. Just how cool is that?

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Nice, I really like culture specific frames like that, very educational. I wish there was a book or website devoted to culture assemblage. Cool story dorkfish, would like to see those pics.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Thanks for the post. I don't know about that cumberland in the upper left of that photo though. Good post.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly where the Trinity site is since I used to hunt Lewis county quite a bit. We could never get permission to hunt there though and since there houses close to the site we never could sneak in either. lol We hunted some fields close to it but no one that I know ever found a Cumberland Point or even anything Paleo that I know of.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread