Curious does anyone out there teach on how to use a detector

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this goes out to anyone that gives classes or information sharing on how to use metal detectors in your community, to get young folks interested they need introduced to a hobby that might seem nonsense to them, and to teach older folks you don’t have to be a engineer to operate, hobby is for young and old we gotta try to get new members to our hobby it’s rewarding in many ways, thankyou

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have taught a number of people how to use a detector, but not on a public forum basis. It's been on a one on one basis. Some have stuck with it, and some have not.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from metal detector class's associated with gold prospecting I've never seen any public classes on general metal detecting. It's always been a one on one type deal even when I've taught newbies. There is enthusiasm for the hobby but people dont collect in large groups for classic training because general metal detection is not contained to any specific geography unlike gold detecting, also the machines vary greatly and are not as specialized as gold machines are. So any kind of formal training would be difficult for the machine used. About the only thing that could be universally taught would be etiquette in general detecting and then you'd have to hope your student takes it to heart.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More folks detecting = less places to detect and more rules.. send them to a hobby shop for a remote controlled truck and tell them metal detecting is a horrible hobby..lol

Inspector Comet

Jan 3, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More folks detecting = less places to detect and more rules.. send them to a hobby shop for a remote controlled truck and tell them metal detecting is a horrible hobby..lol

I'd be lying if I said I never thought like this. The fewer detectorists, the more treasure for me!! But I don't think this is the right approach.

More detectorists means a larger market for detectors, which means more competition, which means better detectors at a lower price. More visibility to the public could mean more rules if people are sloppy and disrespectful, but if you host classes to teach people how to do it right and why, you may actually reduce the likelihood of rules being created as people see detectorists respecting property and cleaning up trash.

Also, if people are more familiar with detectorists they may be more likely to allow detecting on their property, potentially opening up more areas to detect. Again, I get that there are only so many indian head cents out there, but I think there are enough to go around, right?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots and lots and lots of you tube vids of guys teaching
Ive personally helped 100s over the yrs - some articles ive writen
http://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/

as for lot of guys worrying that every one we introduce or teach - Ive got no less than a dozen guys
that got into hobby because me - I would show them a bunch of nice coins or a handful of gold jewelry found from a trip
and they would SEE DOLLAR SIGNS. Most sold their machines after a month - they thought it was so easy
maybe if you got a lot of virgin spots - not the case where Im from. others dabbled a bit longer and then let kids or grandkids play with it.
One guy did pretty good for a couple yrs - I helped him with a few spots to hit - but his is now in the closet

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the pleasure of teaching (lecture and practical) small groups and individuals about metal detecting. The topics range from detector selection, use and settings, target recovery:cutting plugs, Electronic theory of detecting, restoration...etc. In fact, I'm giving a one-on-one lesson to a newbie tomorrow. I will "suit him up" with a Minelab 705, Garret pin pointer, bag and hand digger to use after the brief introduction. Looking forward to a fun time! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread