current ATP user looking at the etrac, input??

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok this spring will be my 3rd full season detecting, ive had a bounty hunter tracker IV, then an ace 350, then the atpro, I really like my atpro but Im obsessed with the minelabs particularly the etrac and ctx3030, of course id like the ctx, but I kinda like my wife and she doesn't like the $2400 price tag, I had to bend over backwards for her to accept the $1600 on the etrac.

So basically my post was for any input you guys can offer on what I may expect jumping from an atpro to an etrac, I should add im not stuck in one type of hunting, I LOVE coin shooting, but them old relics get at me too

Thanks in advance and HH!!

hoser

Jan 11, 2006
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AtPro
Ok I have both the ATP and the e-Trac and they are both awesome machines. And I find myself switching off about every other hunt. I got the ATP to use in the rain and lake hunting. The "E" IMHO is dynamite on finding silver. As far as the CTX the only thing I can offer is what two real good friends of mine told me and they both swing the CTX. They told me that the CTX is heavier than the E-Trac, has GPS, and is waterproof. Will I be buying one, no. I simply can't justify forking out that kind of money for something I basically already have. I just can't get mine wet. Spend what you can afford. Even a lower cost machine can, and will serve you well. Good luck on your quest.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I have both the ATP and the e-Trac and they are both awesome machines. And I find myself switching off about every other hunt. I got the ATP to use in the rain and lake hunting. The "E" IMHO is dynamite on finding silver. As far as the CTX the only thing I can offer is what two real good friends of mine told me and they both swing the CTX. They told me that the CTX is heavier than the E-Trac, has GPS, and is waterproof. Will I be buying one, no. I simply can't justify forking out that kind of money for something I basically already have. I just can't get mine wet. Spend what you can afford. Even a lower cost machine can, and will serve you well. Good luck on your quest.:icon_thumleft:

thanks for taking the time to reply, I too have read that the ctx has 2 capabilities the etrac doesn't, waterproof, and gps.
and honestly I would buy but I likely would never submerge it, heck 2 yrs my atpro has never been underwater. so if that's the only advantages, im good with the etrac, ill keep my atpro for a water hunt if I feel so inclined.

thanks!

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So basically my post was for any input you guys can offer on what I may expect jumping from an atpro to an etrac!

The first thing that comes to mind is more peaceful relaxing hunts.Its only an opinion but the atp is abusing ones ear drums while the minelab will sing a beautiful song.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing that comes to mind is more peaceful relaxing hunts.Its only an opinion but the atp is abusing ones ear drums while the minelab will sing a beautiful song.

I do like the tones the etrac has to offer, too bad we couldn't personalize how we want them to sound, like downloadable tones, now that would be cool, id have silver hitting like an electric guitar, and gold like a drum solo lol!!!

im shot, I need to get back out there detecting soon, 2 freezing cold months is LONG ENOUGH!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

If you try the CTX over the Etrac you'll soon realize that the balancing of the CTX is far superior. I go every year on a trip I swing on the average 10+ hrs a day for 13 + days straight. I've used the SE, Etrac, CTX and I can go just about the whole length using the CTX without a bungee cord help, now the Etrac the cord is my friend. The only time I don't need it if the targets are plenty and the swing time between them isn't too long. As for weight between the two machines I've never scaled them, but lifting up the Etrac seems heavier because of the design. Now that's my take on the two, others might find it a lot different.

hoser

Jan 11, 2006
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AtPro
pepperj that's true. I have never had the CTX in my hands to see for myself. My friends did say although it was heavier than the E, it was balanced just right and took the fatigue out of swinging it. Thanks for the info.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swung the AT Pro for 2 seasons and then moved to the E trac at the end of last season and have absolutely no regrets. Don't get me wrong, I love my AT Pro and still own a couple but the E Trac is just so much quieter and the discrimination patters can be tailored to your own taste. It takes a little getting used to switching back and forth because the AT just seems so noisy after running the E Trac but you fall back into it quick. If you can buy the E Trac and still keep the AT Pro I would do that since the waterproof feature means you can still detect even if it is raining out.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I swung the AT Pro for 2 seasons and then moved to the E trac at the end of last season and have absolutely no regrets. Don't get me wrong, I love my AT Pro and still own a couple but the E Trac is just so much quieter and the discrimination patters can be tailored to your own taste. It takes a little getting used to switching back and forth because the AT just seems so noisy after running the E Trac but you fall back into it quick. If you can buy the E Trac and still keep the AT Pro I would do that since the waterproof feature means you can still detect even if it is raining out.

X2, I made the switch about 2 years ago, and the etrac is a superior machine, in depth, and discrimination. If you can keep both, the ATP is good for water hunts!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I'm keeping both, thanks for the input guys!

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchased my CTX with 2years3months warranty left, underwater grey ghost hp, and a coiltek 5x10 coil for $1750. The deals are out there, you just have to look. The CTX is far superior to the Etrac, especially in iron. Better discrimination, especially at depth. Not saying the Etrac is not a monster on silver, because it is, the CTX is that much better in trashy sites. GL HH Mike

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also DO NOT pay $1600 for your E Trac! I paid much less for mine brand new from a established dealer. PM me if you would like some info/

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also DO NOT pay $1600 for your E Trac! I paid much less for mine brand new from a established dealer. PM me if you would like some info/
i would agree with that. There's a dealer in nh that you can get it around 1400-1500 plus he throws in headphones and carry bag. Look around for the best price. Good luck

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would agree with that. There's a dealer in nh that you can get it around 1400-1500 plus he throws in headphones and carry bag. Look around for the best price. Good luck

Got mine for ALOT less than that too!

ryan.reading.50

Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know how to bexome a CM.. im on mobile and have a hell of a time posting anything? Oh n stick w the atpro learn it takes years.. etrac no good in the iron and so complicated not your get up n go machine

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know how to bexome a CM.. im on mobile and have a hell of a time posting anything? Oh n stick w the atpro learn it takes years.. etrac no good in the iron and so complicated not your get up n go machine
You need to be on a PC to access tab to join as charter member, it is $20.00 a year. Let me know if you have no pc access...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have a pc my laptop will be back tuesday
You can do it by searching for TreasureNet on your phones browser, then select desktop version in the ootions

Log into treasurenet then at top of forum you will see tab that says charter member....

Do not break our rules any further...

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can do it by searching for TreasureNet on your phones browser, then select desktop version in the ootions

Log into treasurenet then at top of forum you will see tab that says charter member....

Do not break our rules any further...

I'm confused??:dontknow:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cjon455 has a great idea! Downloadable tones. How awesome would that be.
Strange it's not available. GPS, USB, Fully Wireless, etc., detectors. Some with 100s/1000s of tones. Low/Mid/High variations. Some machines have a "bell tone".
But my ETrac can't play "Stones" to silver, or "Zeppelin" to gold. Sure would make diggin' pull-tabs much more bearable. ;)
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread