Current Digsite

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been working this spot for 3 days total. This area was found by my brother on the last day of our last digging...It's always nice to have a someone around to keep you on the gold while cleaning up the last area.. DAY 1 was spent cleaning the sluice allot and panning more than needed to figure out how much area and material is worth my time...I do this by pretty much starting at where the initial streak was found and taking samples upriver till it ends and then downriver then up the hillside if possable.. After that if time allows I usually go to the highest part dead center of the pay area and run buckets the rest of the day..I always keep track of how many buckets I run with stones..That night after I panned all the concetrates and weigh the gold.. I then figure out my average gold content per bucket..And then I have a pretty good Idea if it gonna make me a wage..DAY2 Its all about moving dirt...My only interest is full shovels!! The whole area I designated as "Pay" is dug. It makes no difference if some dirt is left or I just need to stick my hand in the pocket and grab the dirt out I SKIP IT..I move all the easy dirt...Usually this lasts only 1 to 3 days..And then it's on to the cleaning.. Alllot of sweeping and handfulls of dirt..Breaking out cracks ect ect.. Sampling again!!! Finding which crack to spend time on and which leave alone..Usually my brother can clear a pretty decent area of all cracks in a day so on the last day usaully on the second day of this phase one of us will go out with the sole intent on finding an area to do this all over again..That can take 10 minutes to sometimes I wonder if Hell will freeze over before I find some gold..Some Day's are better then others.. Well Just another day on the river...

Just after the first sluice clean out..

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold.gif
The heck with the dig - I enjoyed the VID and music MadMarshall!
killingme.gif

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love your attack strategy. Any structured plan is better than haphazard digging. I never thought of the 'wage' angle though. Counting your buckets and figuring it's pay rate is a great idea. When the pay rate drops off, you don't waste time with a non productive area. Of course being out there continuously gives you the chance to test and act accordingly. I hope to apply it to my spot here on the Cosumnes. But I pretty much have to stick here, so my options on moving are nill. Guess I'll just do the whole damn gravel bar.

How often do you take a day off and just poke around and have fun with it?

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
MadMarshall, great video and text on your approach to tracking and finding the gold! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How often do you take a day off and just poke around and have fun with it?

A couple days a week...Uasualy I go to a whole new location and spend a day or two, when a work site seems to wear on me..

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That top crack has done very well and also had some very nice big potholes full of good dirt!!!

Not the funnest place to be hauling buckets down

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice good to see that butterflies are not endangered or whatever they were moths? lol. Second Vid sort of gave me vertigo lol it was hard to see how high up you were but it looked like a nasty drop. Great vids Thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread