Curse of the Kudzu broken

RetSeabee

Dec 15, 2014
Hudson, IA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
January in Iowa just seemed like a great time to take a road trip to a warmer place, like Florida... I looked up detector clubs in the panhandle area and contacted Barb (the #2 White`s dealer in Florida) on Thomas Dr. in Panama City Beach. You never know what kind of reception you`ll get when you make a cold call lookin for a place to detect, and I was blown away with the warm welcome. Not only did she invite my wife and I to the Panhandle Research and Recovery Metal Detecting Club meeting, she also invited me to join a group hunt the next day. We hunted for about 4 hours and I pulled out several wheaties and a sweet airman`s wings pin. Later in a grove of overgrown palms filled with Kudzu vine and sandburrs one of the club members got a great signal but didn't have a shovel to cut through the cursed vine and roots. He offered the target to me, but what kind of guest would I have been? I took after that stuff with my shovel and when I scanned the hole up came a beautiful 1913 Barber half. I`m not sure who was more excited him or me. I`ll always remember the first Barber half I pulled out of the ground and can't wait til I get to actually find one for my own collection.

Upvote 10

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was very nice of you to dig that for him, even though you didn't keep it I'm sure it was exciting!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gesture on your part (good coin Karma !) The 1913 Philly is a Key date - (188,000 minted )- do you happen to know if it
had a mint mark ?

OP
OP
R

RetSeabee

Dec 15, 2014
Hudson, IA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not check it, but I will contact Barb to find out.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good story! Yeah, I would not have kept that silver either. He found it...it was his, no doubt. Sounds like you made some new friends.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
an assist is always good, helping others in need is the right thing to do. too many only think of themselves.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was going to add that personally I hate the Kudzu, it overwhelms everything

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're a good fella. Did you get any pictures of it?

OP
OP
R

RetSeabee

Dec 15, 2014
Hudson, IA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barbara posted pictures on the Panhandle Research and Recovery Metal Detecting Club facebook page.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have the right attitude for our hobby. " Tips Hat and slowly turns to walk away" ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread