Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 2

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
One website I came across obliquely mentioned that the code 87 on the tag identifies the aircraft as a P-40, but not which specific model of that bird. If I come across any other information I'll try and get it posted here for you.

If your friend has the primary aircraft data-plate we can come up with a lot more information on the airplane it came off of. Was it found at a crash site? If so in what country? That'll help narrow down the possibilities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

ferroso

Jan 8, 2015
Italy
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD - Excalibur II - Makro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One website I came across obliquely mentioned that the code 87 on the tag identifies the aircraft as a P-40, but not which specific model of that bird. If I come across any other information I'll try and get it posted here for you.

If your friend has the primary aircraft data-plate we can come up with a lot more information on the airplane it came off of. Was it found at a crash site? If so in what country? That'll help narrow down the possibilities.

Thanks for your help mirage83!
This plate was found in Borgo Sabotino (Italy), a little town about 60km at south of Rome, on the Tyrrhenian coast.
Not far away, about 2 km, there is a plane Curtiss p-40 crashed into the sea, but I don't know if this plate belongs to that plane.
Here a video:

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Well, the 6-gun armament package on the submerged aircraft makes it no earlier than a -D/-E model Kittyhawk MkI or 1A, say 1942 or 1943.. I can't tell for certain if there's a engine intake on the top of the cowling or not. If it's not there, it's likely P-40F. They were used in the Med campaigns in 1943 by the USAAF. All things considered it's in pretty fair shape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread