Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with my neighbor Andy and we hit a few sites in a far away county. Since it was Friday, it was tough to find the owners of the properties we've researched but eventually got a hold of one and he graciously gave us the go-ahead. This property contains a site of a 1660's banqueting hall but I had a feeling it would be hard to locate. We first hit a part of the property where the farmer told us contained a bunch of unusual stones and we ended up finding a few buttons but not much else. We finally strolled over to where I though the banqueting hall site was and started to hit iron and saw some scattered oyster shell. I first found a couple of tombac buttons then I pulled out the 1716 2 skilling danske coin. Not two feet away I scored the cut pistareen. Things slowed after that and we pulled out a few more buttons before it was time for me get home. Not sure if that was the banqueting hall site so we'll definitely be going back to scout some more. Thanks for looking.

PB120264.JPG PB110261.JPG PB120266.JPG

PB110253.JPG

Upvote 31

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome site and you are finding all the right stuff! :icon_thumright:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a gorgeous looking spot buddy! Killer finds my man but the best part is seeing you get out and put up a post. Thought we lost you forever brother lol

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a gorgeous looking spot buddy! Killer finds my man but the best part is seeing you get out and put up a post. Thought we lost you forever brother lol

I really only detect from November to early April but hopefully I'll be able to incorporate water hunting a little more in the summer. Good luck if you get out this weekend!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That 2 skilling coin is definitely unusual, and one I have not seen. Those are supposed to be silver, but from your pic it looks like it may be silver plated or washed with the center made from copper like French billon. Or am I seeing things :icon_scratch:? Regardless, it's a very cool find, and nice job on the cut pistareen too. Glad you guys made it out. Nice looking site as well.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 2 skilling coin is definitely unusual, and one I have not seen. Those are supposed to be silver, but from your pic it looks like it may be silver plated or washed with the center made from copper like French billon. Or am I seeing things :icon_scratch:? Regardless, it's a very cool find, and nice job on the cut pistareen too. Glad you guys made it out. Nice looking site as well.

I thought I read where it was only partial silver. If not, then yes it does have that plated appearance. Hopefully we can get up and hunt together soon as long as the dreaded wheat doesn't plague us like last year.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find Joey. I do see what Bill is saying about that skilling being Uuuuuuugggly...

Just kidding bud. Without that core exposed it looks debased, but unless the camera is playing tricks, it looks like a silver plated copper. You could probably get a quick answer from Cru.

Nice Pistareen too. I can't wait to see what else shows up on your next visit. I'm betting it'll be good.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Joey. I do see what Bill is saying about that skilling being Uuuuuuugggly...

Just kidding bud. Without that core exposed it looks debased, but unless the camera is playing tricks, it looks like a silver plated copper. You could probably get a quick answer from Cru.

Nice Pistareen too. I can't wait to see what else shows up on your next visit. I'm betting it'll be good.[/it's definitely debased. I just think it supposed to be

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I read where it was only partial silver. If not, then yes it does have that plated appearance. Hopefully we can get up and hunt together soon as long as the dreaded wheat doesn't plague us like last year.

Cool to see a dansk coin turning up in the States! :icon_thumright: You're right it's only part Silver with a fineness of around .280, something what's called Billon here. Good luck on your next hunt!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, nice work and good luck there.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That appears to be one killer spot Joey, always nice when research comes together pistareen looks like it lost a fight with the plow

Either that or whoever cut it had some of those rusty scissors Brad has found and too much mead [emoji6]

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt man :occasion14: Two colonial silvers and a pile of buttons is just awesome. Glad you found the farmer, got the permission, and he was nice enough to let you guys come back again. I can't wait to see what else you find there. A banquet hall must be loaded with all kinds of interesting stuff.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so sorry,,, but this forum does not allow DROOLING, that being said, guess I will restrict my feelings to just ASTONISHMENT------------WOW :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice Pistareen too. I can't wait to see what else shows up on your next visit. I'm betting it'll be good.[/it's definitely debased. I just think it supposed to be

Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread