verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I was metal detecting at my aunt's house and had an iffy signal on my F75. I ended up recovering 3 tiny square nails and a square nail that was bent and crusty. I've found bits of Pearlware in this area so I always keep my eyes open for non metallic items. To my surprise, I found this fairly large emerald cut gem. Glass? Quartz? There are imperfections in the stone, and I don't see any bubbles, although my eye loupe isn't that powerful. Take a look at the cuts and let me know what you think! received_10211792483752308.jpeg received_10211792485072341.jpeg received_10211792485712357.jpeg

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sorry, I can't tell from the pic but that's a cool find.Congrats

Upvote 0
OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I can't tell from the pic but that's a cool find.Congrats
The top pic is kinda blurry. Most of the imperfections are on the face. Some tiny pits and chips. From what I've read, if it is glass it would have round bubbles in it. From this area, I've recovered a 1745 KGII half penny, 2 large cents (an 1847 and a draped bust) as well as 1860s axe head. My sister pulled a Georgian era wax seal matrix close by.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Impossible to say. A gemologist would need to look at it in person. BTW, that's not an emerald cut, but I'd say a cushion cut.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate your feedback! I don't know much about the different cuts. I do know about the emerald cut though. Lol. I plan on getting it checked!!

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess would be Topaz or Quartz. If it is cleaned up a little bit and dried, rub it between your' fingers and if it feels greasy, then it is likely Topaz.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take this with a grain of salt, IMHO, the cuts look very sloppy, not very uniform. It's hard to tell from the pics because they are blurry, but if it was a quality stone the facets would be very uniform. The pitting seems suspect to me as well. Even though you don't see any bubbles, I still have a suspicion that it is a glass stone. I hope I am wrong and you have something good!:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take this with a grain of salt, IMHO, the cuts look very sloppy, not very uniform. It's hard to tell from the pics because they are blurry, but if it was a quality stone the facets would be very uniform. The pitting seems suspect to me as well. Even though you don't see any bubbles, I still have a suspicion that it is a glass stone. I hope I am wrong and you have something good!:icon_thumleft:
Apparently this stone/gem/ is paste from a Georgian era fob. It is definitely not a diamond.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread