Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First signal from the cob/pine tree site was a tiny little cut cob around .5 grams. Its about the same weight as the little pine tree piece I found. Any idea why they were cutting silver so small here? Dont recall seeing such small pieces posted by others. Anyway, not much else so I explored another section of beach about 200 yards from this site and found the worn Charles IIII half real as well as a few KGs

Attachments

• 15F8E0AD-3CEE-4063-9CB6-B52C1DD25586.jpeg
    15F8E0AD-3CEE-4063-9CB6-B52C1DD25586.jpeg
    663.6 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 22

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sweet, congrats!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's tha way you do it.Congrats :icon_thumright:

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Super site your scooping up there Toasted !
It does seem wonderfully unusual that you are finding such small cut pieces of silver there. It could be that it was the smaller pieces that tended to be lost, which is resulting in the smaller pieces now tending to be found? I suspect that you could be finding payments made to the boys, for their efforts in rolling all those heavy hogs heads of tobacco to the dock for shipment. With an economy at that time based around tobacco, the shoreline and local docks/wharfs were logical places for the leaf to be converted to hard specie. I can imagine a dozen local planters, their families & workers all gathered there on the shoreline, there crop having been transported and staged there over the previous days and weeks, waiting for the few busy days when their crop could be sold for coins or notes, or traded for other goods that may have just arrived there via boat.
Keep hitting it hard and often, there may be plenty more there to recover.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the killer finds! :occasion14:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe redbeardrelics really hit it on the head as to why there are such small cut pieces of coins coming from the location. It definitely had to be a site with a lot of commerce going on and coinage changing hands. Besides the tobacco trade, there were likely fisherman selling fish at the docks as well. Have you done much water hunting in these locations? I ask because a lot of items were likely lost while trading and bartering over the water and coins and other valuables may have been lost as well. Congrats on some really nice finds and hope you pull a lot more from these and other locations!

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super site your scooping up there Toasted !
It does seem wonderfully unusual that you are finding such small cut pieces of silver there. It could be that it was the smaller pieces that tended to be lost, which is resulting in the smaller pieces now tending to be found? I suspect that you could be finding payments made to the boys, for their efforts in rolling all those heavy hogs heads of tobacco to the dock for shipment. With an economy at that time based around tobacco, the shoreline and local docks/wharfs were logical places for the leaf to be converted to hard specie. I can imagine a dozen local planters, their families & workers all gathered there on the shoreline, there crop having been transported and staged there over the previous days and weeks, waiting for the few busy days when their crop could be sold for coins or notes, or traded for other goods that may have just arrived there via boat.
Keep hitting it hard and often, there may be plenty more there to recover.

Yes I can imagine a shoreline bustling with activity circa 1680-1720. Tobacco was king so much so that larger transactions were paid in pounds of tobacco. For smaller transactions, though, specie was required and there seemed to be a lack of or unwillingness to use small copper change. I have found more silver coins than copper here. Having found several coin weights here I would have to say that most of these smaller to medium size transactions were done by scales. They would place whatever cobs, tree coins, etc they had on the scale then simply cut down whatever additional silver coinage they had to meet the required weight for a transaction since Im sure much of what they were carrying was clipped or worn to begin with. I can imagine these small pieces of silver flying off and being lost in the process of the cutting

Last edited:
OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe redbeardrelics really hit it on the head as to why there are such small cut pieces of coins coming from the location. It definitely had to be a site with a lot of commerce going on and coinage changing hands. Besides the tobacco trade, there were likely fisherman selling fish at the docks as well. Have you done much water hunting in these locations? I ask because a lot of items were likely lost while trading and bartering over the water and coins and other valuables may have been lost as well. Congrats on some really nice finds and hope you pull a lot more from these and other locations!
Most of the finds have come from the water but with shoreline erosion since then it is possible this stuff was lost on land

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another cob, and the other finds as well.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man o man you just keep finding awesome stuff! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! Something was going on on that site that's for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions