hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this at one of my permission fields. Its got me stumped though. First it rings up gold on the AT. Second I can't find a match to the rim and edge design online. What do you guys think? I'd like to find out what it is and or what it represents. I pulled a half real and a capped bust half dime from the same field. I'll
100_16231_zpsivpymptq.jpg
100_16271_zpsgk6suhni.jpg
100_16241_zpswjnxkicy.jpg
100_16261_zpsy20o0wpr.jpg
100_16251_zpsbfvry2y1.jpg
100_16301_zps7icmdpif.jpg
100_16311_zpsxz1fw5ls.jpg
post it in "what is it" as well. Headed to work I'll check back later. Good Hunting

Upvote 6

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks good and with the date of 1798? Also the photo that shows that something might be up is the one that shows the green on the broken edge. Congrats on the cut piece and the great photos showing the details.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool,i dont know about the 1798,but I do see an 8 R Z, with the cap and rays it looks like one from around the mid 1800's

Third photo I thought I could see the 1 on the left edge, and part of the 9 on the right of the deeper cut. I might be seeing something totally wrong but it sure looks like numbers.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yea I see what your seeing,i think that may be an assayer mark, alot of mine look like 1's but its really a j,i also see an S or an 8,right behind the Z

2nd coffee and I see #4 photo. :thumbsup:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to admit I'm a little confused on this one. Seems like it could go either way. First, the exterior surface looks spot on, and the edge design seems legit although I've never seen that style, usually only a corded edge. But it was reading too low on your detector for a silver coin of that size and thickness. A similar sized cut piece from an 8 reale I dug a couple years ago registered in the 80s on my F75, well into the silver range. And that green look in the center really has be questioning things. Based on all these observations, I'd have to lean toward a high quality counterfeit. And BTW - great close-up photos.

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies! I wanted to hear some opinions on what it could be. The only other reale I've ever found came from the same field within a hundred feet of where I found this. So this is new territory for me. I'm not disappointed that its counterfeit, which it sure seems to be, I'm actually intrigued. You never know what you'll find.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit I'm a little confused on this one. Seems like it could go either way. First, the exterior surface looks spot on, and the edge design seems legit although I've never seen that style, usually only a corded edge. But it was reading too low on your detector for a silver coin of that size and thickness. A similar sized cut piece from an 8 reale I dug a couple years ago registered in the 80s on my F75, well into the silver range. And that green look in the center really has be questioning things. Based on all these observations, I'd have to lean toward a high quality counterfeit. And BTW - great close-up photos.

I remember that coin well Bill.

I actually dug a similar one at another old colonial site that I had always believed and labeled as counterfeit, wonder just how many were in circulation.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The interior looks kind of strange for silver. Seems like it would be hard to test to see if it is silver throughout without filing the outside a little and see if it is plated. I would see if I could get it to flake up a little under the magnifying glass. If it is a plated counterfeit, it looks like an excellent fake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread