Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been lucky enough to have dug 15 of these quaint little pieces. Thirteen were found in Southwestern PA and two in Virginia. I consider them half coin, half relic. Between digging them myself, observing others that are posted on the various forums, and communicating with other colonial relic hunters, I have drawn a few conclusions about these pieces. Here are my thoughts. Feel free to chime in or post your cut pieces.

1. More cut Spanish Silver is found in Virginia (especially the Tidewater area) than anywhere else.
2. Cut Spanish Silver rarely turns up in eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New England even though plenty of complete Spanish Silver coins are found.
3. Cut Spanish silver is found in Southwestern Pennsylvania probably because the area was claimed by Virginia in colonial times.
4. The most commonly cut Spanish coin was the 2 reale Pistereen.
5. "Portrait" stlye Spanish coins are rarely found cut, even though the majority of complete coins found are portrait. This may mean the practice of cutting Spanish silver was phasing out by 1772 when the portrait style coinage was introduced.
6. Some coins (even the thick 8 reales) were cut very professionally, perhaps by silversmiths, while others appear to be very crude "field cut" pieces. This is obvious when looking at my examples.

Here are my pieces. Hopefully I can add a couple more in 2012.

Attachments

• Bits as of 11-1-10.jpg
    Bits as of 11-1-10.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,367
  • Bits as of 11-1-10.jpg
    Bits as of 11-1-10.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,090
Upvote 1

ASolopenko

Jul 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon!
I'm from Russia and I'm an editor in Russian publishing company “Labirint Press”. Now we’re working on a commented edition of “Treasure Island” by Robert Louis Stevenson for children. The book is also intended to give the most exciting information on pirates, their way of life and on the actualities of the eighteenth century. We’re hoping to express the very spirit of the epoch for our little readers to understand the way people lived centuries before them. That’s why we’re searching for genuine documents, engravings and paintings to include them in our edition. And of course it's hard to imagine a real pirate book without treasure! Without Spanish coins, pieces of eight and all this treasure-hunting stuff! That's why I'm asking for your help. Could you please put the images of your Spanish silver pieces to uor disposal so that we could show these pieces of real history to our readers?
Thank you in advance fot any information.
Alla Solopenko.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting thread. I have only found one cut piece and it is one of my favorite digs because of the character they have when made into change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread