Cute little articulate point, awesome material, opinions please i cant id

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
This little guy was found in the desert southwest, the material is unlike any i have seen before, just amazing colors, the camera just does not capture them :( Any clue as to what it might be? "Projectile type " It has a tip nick or impact fracture and there IS basal grinding. Any thought would be appreciated on this one, and all taken into consideration. Lets get this guy his name, k ;D
I got a good feeling about this one :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 857
  • z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 865
  • z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 853
  • z5.jpg
    z5.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 849
  • z6.jpg
    z6.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 841
  • z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 848
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell but with the basil grinding and if it had ears I would say a word dalton base. You guys have daltons right? Way out of my area though. Mighty purdy though.
HH
TnMtns

Smurufett

Sep 8, 2009
East Texas
Detector(s) used
My hands and bare feet!
I would say midland type if it was found in South/West Texas area . It looks like maybe a scaper now

MANCHU

May 29, 2009
West Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Chong 2 !! Its good to see ya back online. Cool find , I think 4 sure it looks Paleo, maybe Midland or Plainview and the material is Red Alibates from the Red Alibates Flint Quarries in the Panhandle of Texas, Here is a site that will give you more info on the Alibates. www.texasbeyondhistory.net/alibates/index.htm . Did ya'll find it on Thursday when ya'll went out ? Again, we had a great time last weekend, i will call ya the next time i'm up. Bill

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Looks alot like a clovis base. :icon_scratch:

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Looks paleo to me. Maybe salvaged into an end-scraper? My vote is paleo based on flaking style.
Newt

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Hey guys thanks all for the input, im leaning towards paleo too, Ex Midland seems to fit it, no obvious flutes tho. Heck yes Bill, we had a blast, and next time i see you ill bring this little point to show you. Hey is that the material you were talking about you dreaming of finding a Folsom made from? It sounded so familiar, and the link is not working ???

MANCHU

May 29, 2009
West Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Chong , that would be so cool to find a complet Folsom out of alibates, i have a base of one ,just need to get a top. LOL, Hope to see ya'll soon ! Bill

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
ok, well most of the vote is possible midland/paleo worked down to a scraper. So do you all think it was shrunk length or width or both? Being a possible Midland, some of thier points are this little guys size.
and Bill, one day you will find your alibates folsom, but remember your made a deal to hand it over to me when its found complete :D

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
hell gap, fatest part 3/4 way up the point. they get fatter twards the tip.i only charge a bowl for my conclusion. :thumbsup:.i will expect payment in full when your my way,lol

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
you truley think hell gap? really? as 4 the bowl, dont send stuff in mail :P

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
chong2 said:
you truley think hell gap? really? as 4 the bowl, dont send stuff in mail :P
looks like one to me,bowl thats why i said when you are my way,lol not mail it.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It kind of looks thick in that side picture, how does it compare to your Folsom material?

It's probably not the best way, but I think of Midlands as being basically as thin as Folsoms. If it's twice as thick or so, then it's probably something else.

The material could also be Jasper (Tecovas or some local jasper from Mexico/New Mexico.)

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really 100% what type it is Brandon, does look Paleo though, sure is nice material.
Keep looking you are due a whole Paleo soon. Good luck. wink:
Good to see you out n about.

Molly. :)

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
thanks guys,
josh. it is about twice as thick as any of my folsoms and midlands, it hints of paleo, but i dunno wtf...... by far my most colorful piece....
found inside of a dry pluvial lake bed i used to live by 2 years ago

Molly thank you, and yeah. i have yet to find a complete or even a broke baleo this year, but the season is just startin:) hope alll is well for u

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions