Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all, using the correct digging tool is essential. I use a Lesche relic shovel when I am wooded areas, but in a school yard I would use a small trowel.

I always try to dig deeper than my target reading, for example if I get a coin at 6 inches I will dig a cone shaped plug approximately 10 inches deep. If the area allows it, I usually make my plugs about the same circumference as the coil. This prevents accidental "stabbing" of valuable targets. When detecting in grass, I only cut 3/4 of the way around. This allows the grass to grow back in quickly.

If it is a manicured lawn, I will flip the plug onto a towel in order to capture all the dirt.

I hope this helps.

Neil

C

Cappy Z.

Hey Niel,

I just added your website to my favorites.

HH
Cap Z.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cutting plugs in manicured lawns of Ficus and Bermuda grasses work OK, but if that lawn is based on St. Augustine grass one shouldn't use the plug method. On St. Augustine grass lawns, the slice and probe method is better; it won't leave dead grass spots later and no dirty residue.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I prefer using a large hunting knife that is very sharp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread