CW River Finds & Mystery Lead

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Earlier this month, I had the opportunity to do some metal detecting in a river located east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason-Dixon. The area saw quite a bit of WBTS activity. Anyway, here's a few of my finds - a couple of dropped Confederate Gardners, musketballs, a pistol bullet, and then an odd, curve-shaped piece of lead. It appears to have been deliberately shaped like that - anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Attachments

• 7_12_river (2).jpg
    7_12_river (2).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 7_12_river (3).jpg
    7_12_river (3).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 7_12_river.jpg
    7_12_river.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 7_12_river (1).jpg
    7_12_river (1).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Net lead.I've found quite a few pounds of them without wanting too.:laughing7: They can be old to.Have found them off of colonial sites.But little more crudely made.Here's a shot from a site that I couldn't get away from them.:laughing9:
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 000_0011_00[1].jpg
    000_0011_00[1].jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! Many of yours, I believe, are fishing sinkers. I don't think the odd piece I found is. I don't believe its modern either due to the way its worn.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Many of yours, I believe, are fishing sinkers. I don't think the odd piece I found is. I don't believe its modern either due to the way its worn.
Me don't understand the problem:icon_scratch: Anyway here's another shot of some I've not even put away yet from some recent hunts.Most of the round ones have came from 1800's-1900's sites.The two odd long ones came from colonial sites.i do have others from colonial sites but made totally different so no need to post them.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 97

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stonewall, I believe that Timekiller is aware that the items on the right in his pictures are fishing sinkers. He is suggesting that your piece of lead is like the other items on the left side of his picture. "NET Lead". Items used to sink casting nets,

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Me don't understand the problem:icon_scratch: Anyway here's another shot of some I've not even put away yet from some recent hunts.Most of the round ones have came from 1800's-1900's sites.The two odd long ones came from colonial sites.i do have others from colonial sites but made totally different so no need to post them.

Ahhh, OK - I see. Sorry, I should have looked closer. So what are they, fishing sinkers? Where I was, the CW soldiers weren't camped, so they would not have been fishing. Just heavy fighting - though I supposed one of the boys could have dropped it during the battle in the river or, perhaps, it's civilian?

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are attached to casting nets (the kind that you toss into the water and wait for the fish to swim in). Without them, the net would float on the surface and not work correctly. They have been in use for hundreds of years, and earlier ones were made from stones.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here they mainly come from old Gill Nets.

Attachments

• 800px-Gill_net_hauled_in_over_a_power-driven_drum[1].jpg
    800px-Gill_net_hauled_in_over_a_power-driven_drum[1].jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stonewall, I believe that Timekiller is aware that the items on the right in his pictures are fishing sinkers. He is suggesting that your piece of lead is like the other items on the left side of his picture. "NET Lead". Items used to sink casting nets,

Thanks Tom. Right, I get it. I should have looked closer. My bad. Net sinkers . . . hmmm . . . interesting. This is a rather small river - more a stream. Lots of big carp though - I suppose the carp were what someone was after. Were these used for all freshwater fishing, i.e. perch, bass, etc?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw a girl .. at least I think it was a girl... in Malwart the other day that had fingernails that looked a lot like that! :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I saw a girl .. at least I think it was a girl... in Malwart the other day that had fingernails that looked a lot like that! :icon_scratch:

Hey Rob - I saw her too! ;o)

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have made net (cast net) sinkers for centuries. Looks the same way to me. Impossible to tell the date of, but you can't be sure either just on the ware. Water does funny things to items. I would atleast say it is not modern store purchased. Congrats on the bullets.

Dan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh, OK - I see. Sorry, I should have looked closer. So what are they, fishing sinkers? Where I was, the CW soldiers weren't camped, so they would not have been fishing. Just heavy fighting - though I supposed one of the boys could have dropped it during the battle in the river or, perhaps, it's civilian?

Rivers have been visited by more civilians than troopers...most likely civilian.

Dan

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They have made net (cast net) sinkers for centuries. Looks the same way to me. Impossible to tell the date of, but you can't be sure either just on the ware. Water does funny things to items. I would atleast say it is not modern store purchased. Congrats on the bullets.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Beau (and you) inspired me to try the river detecting. Hopefully, at some point, I'll pull out a musket like you fellas have!

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They were/are used on nets for many, many species. In a small stream, the net could be used for minnows, where as a much larger net could be used in the ocean for quite larger fish. And anything in between. There may only be carp and minnows in your stream at this present time, but 100-200 years ago it may have held perch, bass, or even trout. Many of the streams back then were much cooler in water temperature because of more shade (large trees).

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Tom - there are also some nice smallmouth in this stream, as well as perch.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bullets. You rarely see them in their original color!

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to keep in mind is that most of our creeks and streams of today were much larger and had a lot more water in them back then. The water table has dropped significantly since the 1800's and even 1900's. Heck I know of a lot of streams that held mucho water and fish when I was a kid that are nearly dry now. Great finds, love the bullets. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions