CW Union camp site in central Texas?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon fellow t-netters,

For the past 4 days I have been hunting an old log cabin site. Not much of it remains now except a few old logs and the stone foundation, and it is not a very big structure at all. I really didn't expect much, but boy I was sure surprised at the relics I have been finding there.

One of the first things I found was a CW eagle button, then a lid from an old gunpowder box (circa 1860). I was pretty excited about that! There were bits and pieces everywhere. Harness buckles, pistol balls, couple of mini balls, a heel plate, a rosette and even a partial saddle shield from a McClellan saddle!

Now I have an idea what you CW relic guys back east feel like. ;D This is a little puzzling to me (I'm not a Civil War historian) and I am pretty sure no battles were fought here, so I guess it must have been a reconstruction era military base camp for a while. :dontknow:

Anyway, it was a whole lot of fun and I probably will make one more pass over the area real soon.

Thanks for looking and,
HH 2012

Attachments

• DSCN2020.JPG
    DSCN2020.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 792
  • DSCN2031.JPG
    DSCN2031.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 737
  • DSCN2034.JPG
    DSCN2034.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 765
  • DSCN2039.JPG
    DSCN2039.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 791
  • DSCN2040.JPG
    DSCN2040.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 821
  • DSCN2020.JPG
    DSCN2020.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 793
Upvote 0
Interesting finds. I don't know too much about CW action in Tx, but you're clearly onto something great! Happy hunting,
-Ox

The US army was in Texas before the CW, and after the CW and had a few battles durring the War.
Mike

Nice finds! A few years ago, I was invited to hunt an area thought to have been a Union Camp about 3o minutes southwest of Dallas.
Unfortunately, I couldn't make it on that one, but I know some Union stuff was found by those who did.

Wow nice finds! You've got a great spot to hunt, keep us posted on future hunts to that spot. HH

Rick, you always find the good stuff. maybe i should follow after you and pick up the leftovers. :tongue3:

You certainly have a military related spot there with all that lead found. I never find that amount of lead in an old mid-1800s homesite.

Keep the spot well guarded, and don't let anyone poach it from you. (Been a lot of that going on lately, unfortunately).

You will want to widen out your search area as far in every direction as you find relics. Get a sense of the size of the site you're on.

Follow hunches. Go towards water sources and hunt around springs or creeks on the property. And above all, have fun! I am looking forward to seeing what else you turn up.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

BuckleBoy said:
You certainly have a military related spot there with all that lead found. I never find that amount of lead in an old mid-1800s homesite.

Keep the spot well guarded, and don't let anyone poach it from you. (Been a lot of that going on lately, unfortunately).

You will want to widen out your search area as far in every direction as you find relics. Get a sense of the size of the site you're on.

Follow hunches. Go towards water sources and hunt around springs or creeks on the property. And above all, have fun! I am looking forward to seeing what else you turn up.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Thanks BB, I appreciate your comments. I will never catch up to you though. :notworthy:

could also be an old Buffalo Camp....

romeo-1 said:
That site's a winner!!

I know in TX and other SW states that traders/hunters were veterans. I know of a few folks who consistently find CW related items (uniform buttons, even US plates) at sites such as these. There is some US activity in TX, but there is a good amount of 1850's movements, so might be from one of those as well.

Nice finds.

Dan

Your home site might be the home of a veteran who returned home with all his gear intact. Over the years stuff wore out and were discarded around the home.

You need to do a little research on who lived there just after the CW and then take that name and research him and see if he was a veteran, or one of his sons were.

Curious The George said:
Your home site might be the home of a veteran who returned home with all his gear intact. Over the years stuff wore out and were discarded around the home.

You need to do a little research on who lived there just after the CW and then take that name and research him and see if he was a veteran, or one of his sons were.

George, I don't think this little old shack was ever a homestead....I think it was hastily constructed by the Army for temporary use. IMO

Thanks for all your comments folks. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back