CWR with phone numbers

dougbfromnorthga

Apr 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen it a few times. Or get this, I have seen a few account numbers on a few rolls. I think they used to do this in case of short rolls. Back in the day before identity theft, I think this was a fairly common practice. HH Doug

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
FormerTeller said:
I've gotten a few CWR's with names and phone numbers written on them. So far, haven't found anything super exciting in those rolls, but if I did I'd be tempted to give them a call to see if they had any more.

Anybody experience anything similar?

Yea, don't do it! If you do call that number you may set yourself up for failure. All it will take is the person who originally wrapped the rolls to call into the bank and say they have been harassed by someone who got change there. Even though it would be the banks fault for allowing information like that into other customers hands it would overall effect your usage of the bank.

T-Candy

Mar 6, 2011
FormerTeller said:
I've gotten a few CWR's with names and phone numbers written on them. So far, haven't found anything super exciting in those rolls, but if I did I'd be tempted to give them a call to see if they had any more.

I once found something similar written upon a stellar roll containing 15 40%'s. After a quick reverse lookup and comparison of local listings, I found a matching woman's number and gave her a ring. I was very polite, as I'm sure such a thing could be taken negatively. She told me that the coins had been returned months ago during a divorce. She said she'd be happy to look around and give me a call if she found anything else. Glad I'm not her ex :wink:

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvereagle78 said:
FormerTeller said:

Yea, don't do it! If you do call that number you may set yourself up for failure. All it will take is the person who originally wrapped the rolls to call into the bank and say they have been harassed by someone who got change there. Even though it would be the banks fault for allowing information like that into other customers hands it would overall effect your usage of the bank.

Ditto. Don't do it. If the customer complains to the bank about private information leaking out, the management can forbid any exchange of CWRs to customers and force to send all CWRs to "the Fed". Right now many branches in my area will erase those information on the rolls before they hand them over to me. But some branches simply refuse to exchange those CWRs only give out "rolls from the Fed".

MSUCE99

Apr 12, 2011
They still commonly do it around here. Within the past month, I've gotten dime rolls with a) account numbers, b) a handwritten name and phone number, and c) a preprinted "return address" label on them. Out-of-town branches of banks I have accounts with have asked me to write my account number on my dump rolls at times. I'm not real comfortable doing that, but sometimes ya just gotta dump those coins at inopportune times.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I am still getting dimes with names and account numbers and or phone numbers.

I was tempted to call the number on the rolls I got several weeks ago. I had 7 rolls of dimes that were jammed full of pennies.

While I would never really call, it still made me very mad....is it that important to someone to rip off another person for $5, by filling dime rolls with pennies??

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Calling the # would be real tacky. The bank is supposed to cover up that info before selling the rolled coin to a hunter. I know for a fact that some banks debit a customer's account if the rolls are found to be short, even some retail places and gas stations ask for your phone # on the roll before they take em.

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
clovis97 said:
I am still getting dimes with names and account numbers and or phone numbers.

I was tempted to call the number on the rolls I got several weeks ago. I had 7 rolls of dimes that were jammed full of pennies.

While I would never really call, it still made me very mad....is it that important to someone to rip off another person for $5, by filling dime rolls with pennies??
I would have put those penny dosed dime rolls back together and returned them to the bank so they could deal with the offender. He or she could legally be charged with bank robbery for defrauding the bank in that manner. A coin or two off in a roll now and then could be considered a mistake, but a multitude of shorted rolls or lower value coin substituted in rolls indicates a willful intent to defraud.

Bob

byrne3

Mar 4, 2011
kb4iqm said:
I would have put those penny dosed dime rolls back together and returned them to the bank so they could deal with the offender. He or she could legally be charged with bank robbery for defrauding the bank in that manner. A coin or two off in a roll now and then could be considered a mistake, but a multitude of shorted rolls or lower value coin substituted in rolls indicates a willful intent to defraud.

Bob

Yes, very serious. Here is the man they are looking for in MA for exchaging rolls of pennies in dime wrappers..
The suspect stated he had an account and the teller didn't ask for identification. She has already been fired.

http://www.massmostwanted.org/index.cfm?ac=casedetails&CaseID=20110264

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread