billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the suspect necklace and Crucifix, and the ring with the worn/buffed down 14kt markings I found last weekend to be tested today. They use the machine something like yours...

This is the second necklace to have 14kt marking that is fake. The Crucifix was marked 14kt, but fake. The ring kept giving mixed readings. One place on it gave a 6-7kt reading, another place up inside the stone's support gave a 17kt reading. The lady said that when it does that, it's usually plated.... I brought one set of wedding rings I was almost positive were gold, and they did come out as 14kt. Those, not pictured, and the small diamond, weighed 3.6 grams and she offered a few cents over $36.00. I didn't sell... I came back home and found that the set was actually worth about $87.00....

Does your machine give reading like that on plated jewelry?

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• P1010371 (Large).JPG
    P1010371 (Large).JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 268
  • P1010379 (Large).JPG
    P1010379 (Large).JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 269

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I use the same electronic tester as cyberdan. Heavily plated items can give mixed readings like you described. I test one spot & then hit it with an eraser and/or jewelers file. A retest of the spot that shows a significant drop in the readout is a good indication that the item is plated.

On a side note, that ring looks "off". Marked or not I would have been suspicious.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trdhrdr007 said:
Heavily plated items can give mixed readings like you described. I test one spot & then hit it with an eraser and/or jewelers file.
On everything I test, I always hit it with my jewelrs file first. (unless it is a very fine chain, then my tester actually melts the chain in half >:() It has always given me a good reading except once. The numbers went all over the place. I sent it to ARA and they processed it and said it was gold filled. Only got about $5. Sad thing, before I took it in I took it to a CASH4GOLD type place and they had trouble too but offered me $60-80 if I remember correctly. :-\ should of sold. :icon_pirat:

For now I have to "trust" the GF markings as there is no test to back up the markings. I have tested GF without gouging it with a file and it tests as very low karat value. Maybe your piece is GF? But I agree with 007 that ring just has that look of plated.

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I acid test everything and I average about 150 grams of scrap gold a week...however awhile back when I was a green gold buyer and didnt know white gold was supposed to showed up as light yellow color on the black stone..thought it should been a silver white since it was white gold..VERY costly mistake and I mean I was almost bankrupt becuase I bought a whole load of 18k white gold, but it turned out to be Stainless stee :ol :help: ..But miracously God was able to get me out of that one :notworthy:... so I guess in order to be 99.99% sure you have a perfect way to test gold, you have to be very well informed and knowledgable of how you use your tool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread