CZ-20 Gold detecting ?

gmv99_99

Greenie
Dec 26, 2004
OBX, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher Labs CZ-20 & CZ-21
I have a CZ-20 and it does detect gold, at least 10K and 14K. However, I have two Gold necklaces that I bought 10+ years back from a nation wide know store chain... These two gold chains are marked on the clasp as 14K, but my detector will not give me any sound in response to passing them by the coil, even if coiled (size almost 1/2 dollar size)...

Any ideas on what type metal I might have of why the detector does not detect the necklaces?

Any feed back will be appreciated..

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in another forum,
But the reason your Gold chain is not detected, is because it does not give off a sufficiant
signal for the machine to see....
but it does not make it any less a gold chain...

Although I have never seen it said exactly like this,
I believe Metal detecting in general works like this,
When the signal from the machine reaches a target it measures the "conductivity" of that item,
creating a "return" signal that the machine picks up..
We have all heard this right, but go a step futher, and think of what your machine does under
power lines that have electricity running through them, as power flows through those copper
lines it creates "EDDY" currents outside the lines your machine picks up.
copper, silver, iron, if you ran electricy through them they conduct well and create big eddy currents
but when you run electricity through Gold, or like aluminum, those Eddy currents are very much
smaller, thats one reason they use Gold in computer boards, because of the no oxidation, and
very little resistance.
Thats why you get that Iron paperclip and not the Gold Chain.....

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Were you in all metaql mode? I've found items like bracelets and chains in all metal that did not ID. Depends on too many variables but you might check it out in all meteal and see what you get.

OP
OP
gmv99_99

gmv99_99

Greenie
Dec 26, 2004
OBX, NC
Detector(s) used
Guys,
I appreciate the replies! I have tried AutoTune and it still ignores it. It wouldn't be so bad but I asked to assist in looking for the ring of the Bride-to-be and did not find it. The Groom found it with a Radio Shack $150 unit, in the area I just covered. I need a detector that can find these small gold items here, on OuterBanks of NC.
I love my Fisher Cz-20, but have expected to find the small gold. Any suggestions on what detector has that capability and is a u/w unit?

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gmv99_99 said:
Guys,
I appreciate the replies!? I have tried AutoTune and it still ignores it.? It wouldn't be so bad but I asked to assist in looking for the ring of the Bride-to-be and did not find it.? The Groom found it with a Radio Shack $150 unit, in the area I just covered.? I need a detector that can find these small gold items here, on OuterBanks of NC.
I love my Fisher Cz-20, but have expected to find the small gold.? Any suggestions on what detector has that capability and is a u/w unit?

I can tell you right now you are barking up the wrong tree....
Your new machine will certainly pick up a Gold ring of almost any size, and give you a good signal.
Just because someone got it with a radio Shack model does not mean your machine is worthless..
I personaly believe you just did not walk over it.
But with almost no exceptions there are no machines on the market today that will pick up a fine gold chain.
A Gold ring and a Gold Chain are 2 different animals.
Any treasure hunter out there that tells you he has dug tons and tons of Gold chains, is an outright liar,
I've seen and used many machines in 20 years and remember only 2 that might get a gold chain if the
conditions were right, but in that same 20 years I have dug maybe 15 Gold chains, and all of them had a medalion on them except one. which means I would not have dug them without the madalions.
I hope this clears your head a bit on what is and what is not detectable with one of these machines.
Good luck,
Richard

OP
OP
gmv99_99

gmv99_99

Greenie
Dec 26, 2004
OBX, NC
Detector(s) used
Re: CZ-20 Gold detecting ? update

Well, after reading a bunch of info on metal detectors, specifially gold detectors. It seems that the only difference is that those that are designed for getting the small gold have a high frequency. The CZ-20 is a Dual, VLF Search 5 KHz and 15 KHz while the others run much at a higher frequency (Garrett Gold Scorpion at 16.5 kHz, the Fisher Gold Bug I at 19.2 kHz, the Fisher Gold Bug II at 71 kHz and the Whites’ Gold Master Vsat at 50 kHz).. However the CZ-20 is a VLF!
I wonder if FisherLab could add another higher frequency and the unit still be a VLF?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Here's a shot of some of my CZ finds, using both the CZ-20 and the CZ-7. While there is achance you haven't gotten used to your machine, there's also that slim chance you got a bad unit. Yep. I've found several light chains in the past, usually with my single freq. 1235X but more than a few with the CZ's and I've used the 5/7/20 w/o the trouble you're describing. So it might be time to test the warranty option. You can find small gold with a CZ. Check it out:

Attachments

• smallgld.JPG
    smallgld.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 193

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to whet the whistle so to speak..
I have a CZ6 with the Salt water switch...
in this mode the machine would not find that big gold chain, in normal mode it would find the small one,
I used it on the beach, in Spain with I'm sure great loss of nice gold things.

My new machine the DFX will pick all of this up, I got that really small gold ring at Myrtle Beach in
the Wet salt water sand, it did not give much of a signal, it will also signal off on the small gold chain
you see here, but I did not find that chain with the DFX, that came with my old Tesoro Stingray
on a beach in Spain. (the chains are 18k and the rings 10-14k)(the chains are from Spain and the rings from the USA)
Hope you all enjoy.
Richard :)

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 220

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping to send a better picture...

Attachments

• Scan0011.jpg
    Scan0011.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 218
M

mrmark55

I have 3 detectors. After reading this post I took my daughter's very small gold chain bracelet outside and tried to get them to detect it. MY BH on all metal, with discrimation all the way down would not pick it up. My Garrett treasure ace 300 would not pick it up regardless of setting. Finally my DFX set in the pre-programmed prospecting mode went nuts over it. Just a quick experiment from my point of view. :D
Mr Mark

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a "BH" detector ?

And figure what you would use on a salt water beach and try that, as this is most likely where
you might find a bracelet.

M

mrmark55

Sorry, BH is bounty hunter. Even my DFX would not pick up the small gold bracelet in any mode other that the prospecting mode. I was telling my bud about my experiment today and he did not beleive me so we repeated it with his detector and he couldn't get his to pick it up either. That is the first time I had ever actually tried to detect a small piece of gold chain and it really suprised me. Must have something to do either with the shape or the size of the gold.
Mr Mark ???

OP
OP
gmv99_99

gmv99_99

Greenie
Dec 26, 2004
OBX, NC
Detector(s) used
I got an update on the problem with detecting small gold chains and rings with CZ-20.

I talked with the president of Fisher Labs, he mentions the issue is that the CZ-20 is set for salt-water and black-sand descrimination. It is this factory pre-set mode that does not allow the unit to detect the small gold items. He suggests using the CZ-3D which allows one to manually set the MODE to Normal or Salt.

Hope this helps anyone interested...

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a DFX and it will pick up very small gold targets but only in the 15kHz mode.? It is made so it can be used around and on salt water beaches also and just as the CZ it will go right over small gold targets in the dual mode.? ?I guess the dual mode is made to run smoother so when it reads a small gold target it just thinks it's a change in the grounds mineralization.? But in the 15 only mode I found just the clasp ring of small gold chain.? The part the clasp hooks on. In about 5 inches of sand.?

Here is a pic of a necklace I found in the 15kHz mode only. It had a VDI of 24 and the charm/cross was about 3 feet away with a VDI of 4..?

Attachments

• Gold Cross.jpg
    Gold Cross.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Gold Cross.jpg
    Gold Cross.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 157
OP
OP
gmv99_99

gmv99_99

Greenie
Dec 26, 2004
OBX, NC
Detector(s) used
Nice chain! I may have to invest in another MD, maybe the DFX. Thanks!

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Usually multi-frequency detectors have a hard time with non solid gold such as gold chains, wire. Same way with the PI units. I remember testing my Explorer 11 with my X-5 on some wire gold. Solid signal on the X-5 to about 10 inches and not a peep out of the Explorer. The difference being the Explorer was multi-frequency and the X-5 was a high frequency, single frequency machine.

George

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
As just a few more data points, I air tested my explorer 2 with a small glass vial containing a very small amount of gold flakes and it would only get any signal at about an inch or less. My Infinium LS was completely the opposite, it picked the small gold up at some pretty amazing depths easily over a foot. G45_70 helped me with the testing and it surprised us both. The obvious difference being a PI with 96 frequencies, but that does put question to the single higher freq machines doing better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread