dabbled in dimes again

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday was my big dump day...had six boxes of halves to get rid of. Seems like each time I go to dump I hear more and more from the tellers about "the silver ones", collectors and how they have so many people asking for halves.

Anyway, since I don't pick up my halves until friday and I felt like searching last night, I picked up three boxes of dimes from different banks. Ended up with a 1947 and a 1962. Not great results but still enough to make it fun. Now off to dump the dimes and see if the halves are in.

Upvote 0

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
2 out of 3 ain't bad.

So how do you dump the dimes? Just return them in the plastic rolls? Tellers are VERY unhappy with me when I bring anything back in original rolls. Coin counters scare me off due to nightmares with miscounts.

Nice finds.

OP
OP
coincrawlin

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hokiemojo said:
2 out of 3 ain't bad.

So how do you dump the dimes? Just return them in the plastic rolls? Tellers are VERY unhappy with me when I bring anything back in original rolls. Coin counters scare me off due to nightmares with miscounts.

Nice finds.

Hokiemojo...there are a few banks near me that have coin counters (except they don't take halves), so I usually use those for dimes. They are not the fastest machines, but beats rolling. While dumping today I came up 90 cents short, which isn't too bad considering some of the dimes were cwr's which are often short.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes are and a great back up when you can't find halves...
But, they pay out just isnt nearly as good.
HH!

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
No machines that I know of where I live so I have to roll all of my dumps. I try to do dimes and nickels just to have other coins with me instead of just halves so that I fit more of a coin collector image at my banks. They are always happy about getting the other coins and only groan when I give them the dime, nickel, or penny box filled with 200 - 300 in halves. It was kind of funny this week, I think that every bank I dumped at, every tellers said, "see you next week." The only boxes I don't use again are the half boxes. At some of my banks when I tell them this is a full box of dimes or nickels they don't even count them any more which saves a lot of time.

Every once in a while I bring in my The Official US Mint Kennedy book and show them a proof that I found and act as happy and as proud as can be.

Got a good box of dimes today with 8 silver FDR's and my last nickel box had 4 war nickels and 2 buffalos, (1937 and dateless).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions