Daguerreotype Matt Frame - 1850s - How Can I Fix It? - Bending Brass? RESTORATION

Gavinsdiscoveries

Dec 8, 2017
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! Happy Wednesday!

Back in February, I was metal detecting on a hill in SOUTHEASTERN PA and stumbled upon a piece of bent up brass. I tossed it into the scrap pile and continued detecting. Two days ago, I found my box of scrap metal and decided to look through it. Im glad I did! What i originally thought was a hunk of twisted up brass turns out to be something Ive wanted for many years!

I found an 1850 - 1865 Daguerreotype or Ambrotype picture frame matt. Holy Moly! Most of these matts were made in the 1850s and production stopped around 1865! That means that this piece of brass is guaranteed to be over 155 Years old! That by its self is amazing! Think of the story behind this piece! At one point it housed a straight faced farmer, loved one, and maybe even a civil war soldier! This most likely contained the only tangible proof that this person lived. Now I am the proud owner of this astonishing piece of history!

After much contemplation, I have decided that I would like to have it unravel and flat again. As you can see by the photos this is not an easy task. What do you suggest would be the safest way to get it back to its original form. Should I attempt it or leave it alone?

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

IMG_2449.JPG

I wonder how this piece ended up bent like this? Here's some of the crazy stories that i've come up with -

STORY 1 : A sad man wondered out into the woods (at the time it would have been stumps because of logging) after it was revealed that his wife had an affair with another man. Aggravated, he crumpled up the only photograph of them together. After tearing the frame apart, he ripped off the matt and crunched it up. He tossed it as far as he could, then laid by the stump, and cried.

STORY 2 : A young and spry lumberjack had a rough day at work. He lay by a campfire made from the logs he and his friends cut earlier. As he gazed into the millions of stars he thought of his family. He reached into his breast pocket and pulled out his prized possession, a photo of his wife and 2 kids. The photo cost him almost everything he had, $2. He fell asleep at piece thinking of his children. The next day, he was working with some logs and his photograph fell out of his pocket. This photograph was crushed between two logs that were alive when the constitution was signed. saddened, he took the damaged photograph and tucked it into his pocket. he bent up the frame and matt and discarded it on the hill. 150 years later a young 15 year old found the brass scrap that was once held so dear.

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS - I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR VERSIONS OF WHAT YOU THINK MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED

OP
OP
G

Gavinsdiscoveries

Dec 8, 2017
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8257727219_3da6e0d262.jpg

Here is a photo of a similar frame. You can see the dots and the elegant curves.

(Photo from Bing - Free to share and use)

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way you'll get it unrolled is to heat it. I think I would try putting it in the oven on high for a while and see if it softens up at all, and get 2 smooth jaw pliers and try to gently unroll it. you'll likely need to reheat it several times and go very slowly with it

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread