Dalton Finds

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
All the recent rain has exposed same deeper layers. I've found three Dalton points on the last two hunts. The larger fluted one has an impact fracture that was reworked. The smaller base is fluted or thinned twice on one side. The drill has a crystal tip, thought that was pretty cool. The other point in the in situ with the smaller base is an Ecusta I think because it's beveled. Both of the pictures were taken within a foot of each other, I'm taking my shovel to that spot next time. HH

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking Daltons Ryan. I wonder why we don't find them around here when they are spread from Texas to the east coast?

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
archer66 said:
That drill is a beaut but I really love the last one....looks like it is grooved all the way around, is it??

Thanks archer I think it's a shadow that makes it look like that.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
SRV said:
Nice looking Daltons Ryan. I wonder why we don't find them around here when they are spread from Texas to the east coast?

Thanks Steve, good question. I think I've seen one example from Ohio at an auction. I wonder why I never see Lost Lakes and Dovetails around here.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Th3rty7 are you sure there Daltons. Cuz those sure look like Clovis's. That is what I see in them.........I could be right and I could be wrong they just don't look Dalton to me.......Awesome finds!!!.........................JMO>...........................GTP :icon_thumleft:

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Great points man.

Steve I am with you. I was wondering the same thing myself. I have never found one.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found Hardaway Dalton points in New Jersey. I have not found a Dovetail yet there. I have found a lost lake point there as well. Wish I could show them all but that was part of the collection that was stolen from me! I have yet to find a Clovis point there although I have found Holcomb triangles before. I find several different types in the fields that I search. I have one spot that yields nothing but Orient Fishtails, another one that produces triangles. I love tracking down certain areas after searching them a while and knowing what they will most likely produce.

About pictures 3,4 that is a classic Hardaway Dalton point. The other two points with the heavy flutes on them both. The one could very well be a Redstone with the double flutes and expanding auricles. The other is very interesting. I bet that you have a possible clovis spot that was exposed after those rains. I don't see Dalton in those two points..................GTP

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Get-the-point said:
I have found Hardaway Dalton points in New Jersey. I have not found a Dovetail yet there. I have found a lost lake point there as well. Wish I could show them all but that was part of the collection that was stolen from me! I have yet to find a Clovis point there although I have found Holcomb triangles before. I find several different types in the fields that I search. I have one spot that yields nothing but Orient Fishtails, another one that produces triangles. I love tracking down certain areas after searching them a while and knowing what they will most likely produce.

About pictures 3,4 that is a classic Hardaway Dalton point. The other two points with the heavy flutes on them both. The one could very well be a Redstone with the double flutes and expanding auricles. The other is very interesting. I bet that you have a possible clovis spot that was exposed after those rains. I don't see Dalton in those two points..................GTP

Appreciate your opinion GTP, I know what you mean about hunting certain areas and knowing what to expect from them, it's really exciting knowing you're in a spot that produces early fluted types. Early fluted types...that's how I should have described those two. I have a bad habit of putting points into a certain type, mostly because I lump them into the types I normally find in the area. In this spot I have found Hardaway, Hardaway Daltons, Classic Daltons,and a type that looks like a Dalton Breckinridge with a fishtailed base, and to make it even more confusing, there's a Colbert like variety here with a squared base, mostly with a slight concave base. There are some large uniface tools that have come out of that area as well.

I agree with you on the classic H.D. drill form. The other two I'm undecided, both are fluted on one side, the smaller multifluted base has a slightly ground hafted area, the larger piece has a noticeably heavier ground base, especially the sides. Because of these ground shoulders I threw them into the Dalton type. I have been looking through the books and have noticed some earlier types with shoulders from resharpening. Thanks again for your helpful suggestions and opinions. I'll post a frame of artifacts that have come from that spot soon, just need to get them together and take a pic.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Thirty7 nice! Were you expecting this time frame in that area? I am always amazed at how they would always work a Dalton to death. I think you said you had found a colbert. I found one not to long ago. Tough to I.D. Mine was anyways. Killer old old stuff!!!
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread