Dalton From The Clovis Site

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
Graphite golf club shaft, and my eyes
Large Dalton Drill Or Exhausted Knife. Found On the same site as the Clovis. This morning went back and found this just down the slope from a plowed up burial mound on top of the ridge. I am pretty sure it is a burial mound because there are many limestone slabs plowed out of the hump in the field. There are burial mounds on top of most the the high ridges and hills in this area, but most of them are wooded or leveled.

Attachments

• Dalton Drill.jpg
    Dalton Drill.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 391
Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice artifact,dont think i would hunt around there though. jamey

OP
OP
Buckhunter

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
I see no harm in picking up points out of a corn field, no matter where they are laying. Leaving them for the farmers disk to destroy makes no sense to me.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a very good point to save them,the mounds should of never been plowed up anyway.im not saying anything bad about you just dont want to see anything bad happen to you.ancesters of the mound builders know what comes from grave sites,no matter where you found them, it just makes you look like a archie.i really like your posts you have some nice points,this is not an attack on you.i just think you could ruin your collection by filling it up with things that have come from graves, even if it wasnt you who dug up the dead.
jamey

OP
OP
Buckhunter

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
Im no Archeologist, but im pretty sure the Dalton culture didnt use mounds for grave goods.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea i know,but you might find something from the mounds in that spot.heard of some creepy things happen to people who find things meant to be left buried.
jamey

OP
OP
Buckhunter

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
When I first started hunting it was legal to dig graves and mounds sites and shelters. The only creepy thing that ever happened to me was in a house just up the road from Daniel Boone's house that was built in 1839, I heard children laughing when there as no one there. But I kept on working!!!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o i would have been out of there. jamey

OP
OP
Buckhunter

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
I aint scared easy pilgrim, besides I think Greg Perino made a pretty good living digging mounds back in the day! :tongue3:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I'm glad you were there to rescue the piece from the plow... Isn't that notch/indent pretty big for a Dalton? I wonder if it isn't some later archaic type? Any grinding along the edges?

Neat piece.

Joshua

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread