OP
OP
ALABEAR

ALABEAR

Mar 20, 2005
Bridgeport, Alabama
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD and some TESORO'S
DO YOU KNOW IF THERE WAS ANY TROOPS AROUND THE RIVER? OR HAS ANYONE YOU KNOW FOUND ANYTHING AROUND THE RIVER?

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
There were troops all around Dalton. General Joe Johnston used it as a winter camp for his army in 1863. There were also obviously numerous troops there at the beginning of Sherman's Atlanta campaign. Plenty of great finds have been made in the area.

Stan

OP
OP
ALABEAR

ALABEAR

Mar 20, 2005
Bridgeport, Alabama
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD and some TESORO'S
My buddy has about 150 ac. in Dalton and he told me there was some fields but most was in woods and it run along the Conasaga. I was just wanting to know if the troops was along the Conasaga on the East side of Dalton. He is wanting me to go down there with him for a all day hunt. Has anyone hunted over by the river and if they had if they found anything? Thanks Bear

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mill creek is the name of the creek west of Dalton on hwy 41 both north and south was at this creek its at the base of rocky face mountain .but it runs the on the west of the mt. their at dalton southern troups on rockyface and the north across creek on a hill called buzzard roast this area use to be rich in relics i know of quite a few buckel , mini & shells comming from this area. i found a few myself. conasaga is on the east side of dalton . the northern lines ran from rocky face (crow valley)to varnell across the conasaga river

rebelfirefighter07

Jul 29, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Any area in Whitfield County is great detecting. Troops were all over it during the war especially during the Atlanta Campaign. There were several areas where troops crossed the Conasauga River at different times. One is in the area of Tilton, Ga. There was a ford near Tilton Bridge and also a battle right there near the river. There were actually several battles and skirmishes all over the county. Just down the road from Tilton was the battle of resaca. It took place on te edge of whitfield and gordon county.
If you pick up the book Company Aytch by Sam Watkins, who was in the Army of Tennessee he talks about crossing the conasauga at night looking for food.
Any where near the river you have a good chance of finding arrow heads in your holes, they are everywhere. Just below where Holly Creek flows into the Conasauga you can see a fish trap built by the Cherokee in the summer when the water is low enough.
If you have any questions about specific areas give me a holler and I'll try and help you out. [email protected]

Night Train

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2013
Jefferson Ga
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030 or MineLab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a little hunting around Resaca Ga I was off dug gap rd behind the carpet factory. I hunted up the mountain and found nothing! Did I happen to be in the wrong place?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread