Dalton Point?

Essex

May 23, 2016
North East Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this point awhile back and determined it was a Dalton Point because of a couple of resources I found. One resource is:

http://www.srarp.org/pdf_documents/Research Papers/ClarkHillRierBasinSurvey/04_Chapter4-8.pdf

(Page 127)
I didn't find it right on the lake but it was not very far away.

Just recently, I read a post that said that having the Dalton shape doesn't necessarily constitute being one. Someone help me out... what do I have?

IMG_7106.JPG IMG_3656.JPG

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Have you looked at pictures of Yadkins?

It can be difficult to separate Daltons and Yadkins in NE Georgia, S Caorlina & N Carolina. I tend to look for a more pronounced hafting area on dalton points.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are many Late Woodland triangles found throughout the East, with names appropriate to the region where found. If found in southern New England, for example, your point would be a Late Woodland Levanna for certain. In your neck of the woods, joshuaream's suggestion of Yadkin is likely spot on.....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Essex look at the Candy Creek and Camp Creek style points to. It does look like a Yadkin but the other 2 I named I find mostly and they look just like the old ones like Dalton and Paleo styles. Then it gets real confusing when you see the unfluted Clovis cause they look just like some of the Woodland styles. That is when you need to study the flaking from all time frames to know what you have. Quartz is a tough one due to the flaking doesnt show up very well. Nice point

OP
OP
E

Essex

May 23, 2016
North East Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rock! I need to study up on some of that. You mentioned Clovis points... The corp of engineers found several when they were building a a park down the road here. They're in a museum. They found a lot of neat stuff and the university of ga excavated. Thanks for the 411.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the C of I in our area have all of the good places for artifact hunters but you wont find me out in their area. They dont play and have the best spyware type of instruments money can buy to spy on you if you go to their properties to look. Believe it or not one time I was out yakking and saw 2 of them looking for points in uniform to but you know if it was me and they saw me it wouldnt be okay but I guess the rules are different for them. I have heard they have artifacts hanging on the walls in their offices that they have found just like we do but maybe they are collecting for the state, who knows.

OP
OP
E

Essex

May 23, 2016
North East Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wholeheartedly agree. Just not worth the risk. There's some shoals down here on Broad River where ALOT of people got in a lot of trouble from picking up items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread