Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like a dalton point, but two problems I see, first is the fact it’s a retouched flake. Second is the size considering dalton didn’t have bows why would a point end up so small... but it sure looks like a transitional paleo point
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563745109.843288.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563745125.409036.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563745147.710987.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563745166.367168.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563745185.030919.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563745203.721786.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So just so I can get it clear in my mind, it’s not dalton but just happened to end up a similar shape when the flake was retouched. Can flake tools even be typed? I usually see them “associated” with ______ points. Never seen one that resembles a biface before.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So just so I can get it clear in my mind, it’s not dalton but just happened to end up a similar shape when the flake was retouched. Can flake tools even be typed? I usually see them “associated” with ______ points. Never seen one that resembles a biface before.

Flake tools were used in all time periods, so it would be real hard to place them in a certain period unless it was found with a certain period style artifacts. Is the sides of the base ground at all. Also it could have been picked up by a later culture an reused, it's a cool find.!!!!!!!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To me, it looks like it was struck off a core at the end that appears to be the base of a point and the divot there is where the bulb was. The unifacial side with the shock ripple is where it was attached. The facets on the opposite side is where flakes were removed from the core prior to this one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I agree I tried to show it in the pics, it appears they went back and flaked the edges, that’s what I’m trying to clarify when you think of a typical type of point it’s usually a biface I don’t know if flake tools can be typed but if they can, this looks dalton-esque

Last edited:
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda what i thought I was hoping someone would tell me it was dalton, oh well guess I gotta keep looking for that paleo

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On top of all that's been said, it would be mighty small for a Dalton as well.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I realize that most of you may already know these things but some clarificaiton may be in order here. Just because some are small doesn't mean that they were not darts. Many were hafted to a foreshaft and inserted into a slot in the end of a prepared, somewhat larger, primary shaft--thus completing the dart (or spear if you prefer to call it that). Your find reminds me of one I have that predates the bow yet is still only 1 5/16" long. This is only one of many small projectile point types that predate the bow.

This link illustrates what I'm saying about dart components ...

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...AgAEAE&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=zTZBr10__SwtiM:

Attachments

• DSCN1501.JPG
    DSCN1501.JPG
    798.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions