cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the problem with full round plugs. A U shaped flap or a slit won't leave a mess like that.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This doesn't have to be caused by a newbie, just a stupid person.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thinking a lazy person, they were all over the park . It's my go to park for silver coins and I won't be surprised they won't allow detecting

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't know about your area, but up here even that will fade in a couple weeks after some rain

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't get rain that often

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Short grass like that makes it hard for any plug to disappear

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you detect around there? If there were just two plugs, maybe they were looking for something in particular and were just digging. Or they had a cheaper detector and couldn't find it. Maybe they buried something themselves. Worked with a survivalist who used to bury ammo in parks, along roadsides etc. He was waiting for the revolution that never came. That stuff is still out there somewhere...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the type grass and moisture to hold the soil together these park lawn mowers will suck these plugs out an chop them up. This is how parks get closed to metal detecting. For years I would only use a screw driver to pop the shallow coins out as it caused less damage. Deeper coins were passed over till I got in the fields and woods.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea those plugs are going to be there so everyone can that see that some was metal detecting we hardly get rain I live in New Mexico . I hunted this park hundreds of times and I usually check it if my plugs are visible . Man these plug were at 12in and they were all over the park

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They actually did a good job at filling/replacing the grass. Maybe you'll get some rain before the busy body lookie Lou's decide to ban detecting. I hate public parks in general and never have felt comfortable with a detector in them. Let alone a Lesche or even a probe.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that does not even look like grass, lol.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
That type of recovery is no big deal to us here in the Pacific Northwest. The dirt is still very wet, and grass will be green in a week or two.

Dryer climates, I agree that is a problem.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually do flap. I tried round plugs but prefer the flap or U shape

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, use a flap or U-shaped "trapdoor"..., keeps the lawn living and unmoving,
over the dig.
Always poke at the dirt in the hole, eliminating air gaps..., close the hole
and FIRMLY, even STOMP the "lid" closed..., and finally fluff-up the grass,
and make sure there isn't a trace of you being there! And, ALWAYS haul
out your trash, and even pick up even more junk, if you see it and have room in
your bag for it...!
Coin probe on super shallow targets, and use ground cloth to hold the extra dirt,
on deeper digs, before neatly returning everything, tucked neatly back into the hole.
I've had grounds-keepers from three different parks watch over my digging techniques,
and remark that they wish everyone was as good at digging as I was - yes, really.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a lot of hunters will poo poo the suggestion to carry a plastic garbage bag tucked in their belt for carrying paper trash you pick up at sites. You can always pre-stuff some home trash in the bag and show it to park manager. They will treat you differently.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
They actually did a good job at filling/replacing the grass. Maybe you'll get some rain before the busy body lookie Lou's decide to ban detecting. I hate public parks in general and never have felt comfortable with a detector in them. Let alone a Lesche or even a probe.
Fletch .. The same thing i thought it was a good job of replacing the plug and grass and in time it will be like new .. If that was the only bad looking ones in the park only 2 nothing to complain about i think they were trying to do a good job while they did do a pretty good job...... Myself i do not hunt parks either...

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea cloth or cardboard even a paper plate from the park trash can makes a great place to dump your dirt then get it all back in, a well cut plug and no brown dirt around, heck ..I can hardly tell where I dug moments after digging,
Even some pro`s make me cringe when I see the plugs they dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread