Daniel boones traps and rifle

kenmor

Jan 28, 2006
Daniel boone's traps and rifle

I read this in a old history book at a library,Daniel was trapping up on the Grand river,it was winter nd he had made a snug place to stay.One morning he woke up and seen indians down below his shelter,he waited and snuck out leaving a favorite rifle and all his traps in the shelter.He said he never retrieved them,Regards...Ken Morrison

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Daniel boone's traps and rifle

I'm not saying this isnt true or anything like that. It just doesnt make sense.Leaving the traps is one thing but leaving a rifle behind. Back then that wouldnt have been to smart. Why not take the rifle? Did he have a lot of furs to carry? It wouldnt have mattered, having a lot of furs to sell wouldnt have done you any good if you were dead. :icon_scratch:

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005

is it possible that he had more than one rifle with him? If I was worried for my life and and to sneak out, I think that I would be taking just what I could to move silently and swiftly, that would likely mean only carrying one rifle and my hunting bag, knife etc. No pelts, no traps, no extra items.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One of the museums has one of his rifles...but then that is disputed too...seems like there was something with the spelling on the rifle that gave it away. It maybe the one you are talking about as it was found a long long time ago.

He may have had two rifles with him, it was common back then for guys to have a back up rifle just in case something happend to their favorite/main one.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Thats a possibility. If it was his favorite it was most likely a kentucky or pennsylvania rifle. That would of been any mans prize possession back then. His secondary could of been a musket. You could use the balls from the rifle in the musket but not vice versa.It would of made sense. So his favorite became expendeble. :sad1: ;D

OP
OP
kenmor

kenmor

Jan 28, 2006

Well my way of thinking is he had more than one rifle,and what was he going to do fight the indians with 2 rifles? No what he done was got rid of all the weight he could get rid of and llt out and moved fast,the area where he was was where the missouri's .or osage indians was and this also was wilderness at that time, regards...Ken

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

One thing we're both missing is that the book didnt say whether or not he had a horse or not. Theres nobody to say but daniel boone and he wont be saying much :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread