spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend I was lucky to spend a day with childhood friends and one in particular had a million stories to tell after being an EMT for over 23 years. It's amazing how he mind can handle such tragedies almost on a daily basis. I guess they had to keep a dark sense of humor to keep from going crazy themselves.

The EMT's are connected mostly to the Fire Department, and some to the Police Department. My friend worked with both and had a ton of stories. They are called for the most horrendous accidents and some day to day events that are not life threatening. The non threatening are usually the funniest stories.

On that is funny is a call made to the Fire Department. When he rolled up he was met by a man who said his wife has been administrating for nearly 12 days. My friend then asked, "How many words per minute does she type?" Another was from a mother whose 12 year old daughter was bleeding. He asked did you daughter ever have her menstruation before? Some people just have no clue due to poor education.

One bad call was to a jumper off the el train station. The woman hit concrete head first and the skull was broken open like an egg, contents emptied out. The firemen asked my friend if she would be OK? Without missing a beat he said sure, "All we have to do is scoop up the linguine and she'll be good as new."

That is a job I could never do, and I have so much respect for them in being able to keep their sanity after all the tragedies they see on a daily basis.

I am betting the the police and firemen have a ton of funny stories to share. I would like to hear the lighter ones though :laughing7:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
A man in the E R was in a baseball team that was sponsored by the hospital he was working in. After the season was over, the equipment keeper was bringing the equipment back to this man to store until the next season. He walked in with the equipment bag, and carrying a bat over his shouder. As he approached an older couple sitting in the E R, the man looked over at his wife and said,"look honey, you anesthesiologist has arrived". rockhound

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting read. I plan on starting my EMT courses this winter.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CrazySlasher said:

My friend told at least 20 stories and had hundreds left.. Some were a bit on the sick side, so I wouldn't post them here. Actually there is one I can tell that is not too bad and shows even more into the dark side of life.

He was called for a an aborted fetus in the toilet. His partner got ill looking at it, so he told him to tend to the mother. He pulled the baby from the toilet and wrapped it in plastic, then had to pull the after birth from the mother and sealed that up too and then take everything to the hospital. When he turn the baby over to the nurses they were all commenting on the baby's small penis which sickened my friend. I had to remind him that they too have to try and see humor in the horror they see daily.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
CrazySlasher said:

My friend told at least 20 stories and had hundreds left.. Some were a bit on the sick side, so I wouldn't post them here. Actually there is one I can tell that is not too bad and shows even more into the dark side of life.

He was called for a an aborted fetus in the toilet. His partner got ill looking at it, so he told him to tend to the mother. He pulled the baby from the toilet and wrapped it in plastic, then had to pull the after birth from the mother and sealed that up too and then take everything to the hospital. When he turn the baby over to the nurses they were all commenting on the baby's small --deleted-- which sickened my friend. I had to remind him that they too have to try and see humor in the horror they see daily.

I'm all about having a sense of humor and I'm not sensitive in the least. But if the word that was deleted was the word I think it was, I might have blown a gasket. That's not funny in the slightest.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CrazySlasher said:
I'm all about having a sense of humor and I'm not sensitive in the least. But if the word that was deleted was the word I think it was, I might have blown a gasket. That's not funny in the slightest.

Yup, I see they deleted an organ from he post, I didn't think it being bad in the way it was used, but I understand. Well, if you are going to become an EMT, you better start getting used to their dark humor now. They find a way to break the depression and terrible things they see, and that is how they get relief, I am sure I would be saying the same..

Like I said, there are more, but now that I can print due to graphic subject matter. It was amazing just sitting there and listening to his experiences. Mickey also has several city awards for saving lives and other acts he has performed in the line of duty. But for Mickey, it's a job he has always wanted, helping others. He was like that in his late teens and worked at a handicap camp, always willing to go above and beyond. :thumbsup:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Try riding with the "meat wagon" sometime. We were called to a hospital to pick up a stiff on the 2nd. floor. When we got to the second floor, there were two bodies covered with sheets, so we loaded one up and proceeded to the elevator. In order to get the gurney into the small elevator we had to make the gurney stand up, as we neared the first (ground) floor, the "meat" started stirring..........YIKES!!!!! as soon as the door opened I ran like the wind, and never rode with my buddy again. Story has it, there was an old gentleman that liked to sleep with the sheet over his head and that we accidentally wheeled him out instead of the real stiff............NGE

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
CrazySlasher said:

Yup, I see they deleted an organ from he post, I didn't think it being bad in the way it was used, but I understand. Well, if you are going to become an EMT, you better start getting used to their dark humor now. They find a way to break the depression and terrible things they see, and that is how they get relief, I am sure I would be saying the same..

Like I said, there are more, but now that I can print due to graphic subject matter. It was amazing just sitting there and listening to his experiences. Mickey also has several city awards for saving lives and other acts he has performed in the line of duty. But for Mickey, it's a job he has always wanted, helping others. He was like that in his late teens and worked at a handicap camp, always willing to go above and beyond. :thumbsup:

Dark humor is good. I love it. I can handle things most people can't. However, talking about the size of a dead baby's *(#$ isn't...I dunno...just kind of going a bit over that line.

I would be interested in hearing more stories though in PM.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
A friend of mine went to a local hospital to transport a corpse to a local funeral home . Old guy with a
humped back . Rigor had set in and the hospital had strapped him flat on the gurney they loaded into
his ambulance/hearse .
During transport the chest strap worked loose and just as my friend looked in the mirror the corpse
sat up !
My friend bailed from the moving ambulance and then there was a wreck to clean up , too .

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a call one time to a pedestrian/vehicle accident on I-40, at 3:30 in the a.m. Yeah right, I thought, but it really was. We determined it to be a suicide. Very, very serious head injuries without goin into all the details. I got the 1st Responders and ambulance started anyway. When I got to the scene and saw what I had, I called the ambulance and told them to come on but no need to run hot. (We can't pronounce anyone dead) The ambulance people just went off, wanting to know if I had started CPR. (No, couldn't find his mouth or a decent spot to do compressions.) I tried to be nice as they kept it up, but when they asked me 'Well, how long has he been dead?', I told them, 'Ever since he stepped in front of the truck.' They did see what I meant when they arrived. It was bad, but we often found humor in the misfortunes of others. You had to. I still think about those calls like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread