Darn high school kids and their pulltabs

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Went to a high school today, under the bleachers... found lots of metal cleats and pull tabs... the kind that are NOT supposed to come off, but they tear 'em off anyway and thrown 'em down. Everywhere pull tabs. I kept thinking, "If you don't dig pulltabs, you'll never find any rings"... but man, this was extreme.

Has anyone hit this kind of situation? and do you dig 'em anyway??? despite they might ALL be pull tabs?

Upvote 0

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Don't give them kids to hard a time , they lose lots of money & jewelry too . I don't know about the
most of you but I just don't have the patience to dig everything .

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When there is a specific trash item giving you fits is when a notch and VDI numeric readout can save the day. Hit the spot ignoring the, say, rectangular tab conductivity region until you find a few goodies.

Then go back and dig 'em all at your leisure. :D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
In the mid 1990s, they tore out Rodeo grandstand bleachers (circa 1920s) in my town. Underneath them was hard-pan dirt, where ..... for 70+ yrs, trash had rained through the slats onto the hardpan below. Naturally, they would clean out the standing-debri after each event (cups, papers, cans, etc..) but of course, coins, tabs, foil, etc... get missed. When they started removing all the trusses, foundations, and such, it stirred up millions of targets in the dirt below. A literal OCEAN of aluminum, tabs, etc... All of this would only last a week or so, before fill-dirt was to be added for the newer incoming grandstands. There was simply no way someone was going to be a "hero" and look for nickels or gold rings. So we cranked our discrimination and went strictly for silver and copper. We were rewarded with 100's of silver coins, and even a $5 gold piece! That surprised me, as I figured all gold was disc'd out. It turned out that we had rejected only round tabs and below, but a $5 gold reads high enough to go above that ;D

Did we miss a gold ring? Sure. But in my mind, if I wanted to angle for that, I could merely go to the beach and probably have a better ratio/chance of that. This was the time to go for the silver. There was simply no way to have it "both ways". If someone had gone in there with a relic-mindset mentality, he'd have never have progressed outside of a 10 ft. square area. So we cherry picked, in the limited time-window we had.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread