Dateless Buffalo with vinegar yields a 1915 D!

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
MrSchulz said:
Nice! Was it a full date?

Unfortunately, no it wasn't. It was a dateless, soaked it in vinegar and salt, and it came up. I used some Nic-a-Date and it came out even better. And I didn't see that you specified the mint mark in the title, haha.

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea I had tried nic a date, and couldnt make it out. I have it soaking in vinegar right now, to help bring it out a little bit, but I took my loupe and looked at it an hour ago, and could barely make out a 915.
Unfortunately, no it wasn't. It was a dateless, soaked it in vinegar and salt, and it came up. I used some Nic-a-Date and it came out even better. And I didn't see that you specified the mint mark in the title, haha.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find... remember, a dateless buffalo nickel is worth 5 cents and nobody really cares about them... sure you ruin the coin by soaking it in vinegar(i think), but you definately ruin it with nic-a-date, but you can discover that your dateless buffalo is a key date and it is certainly worth more then a dateless buffalo which has no value anyway!
hh
buff

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
BuffaloBoy said:
awesome find... remember, a dateless buffalo nickel is worth 5 cents and nobody really cares about them... sure you ruin the coin by soaking it in vinegar(i think), but you definately ruin it with nic-a-date, but you can discover that your dateless buffalo is a key date and it is certainly worth more then a dateless buffalo which has no value anyway!
hh
buff

Mine are always worth more than a nickel to me because I put them in a book, haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions