Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi;

I am posturing on having an affair on my F75 by possibly getting a Deus. I have read back several pages in this group trying to glean some tips but seem to end up more confused due to the sheer volume of info here. Could be because I'm old as dirt, but not my fault I was born at a very young age. Here are some questions that I was hoping to get some opinions on:

1. Some of the Deus offerings come with a 9" coil and some with an 11" coil. I'm a relic digger in the SC Lowcountry that is usually in woods but occasionally around old house sites and some farm fields. For fellow SC coastal hunters, what is your primary coil choice and 2nd alternate for our soil type and type of digging?

2. Has anyone had any issues with warranty because of where they purchased their detector? With other products there have been pitfalls with warranties being honored because of the selling source. I see an awful lot of posts concerning failed batteries/broken charging clips/plastic rings and would hope to avoid heartache having to wrestle support should the need arise.

3. SC hunters, I am not a big fan of having to constantly make adjustments when detecting (I had a Nautilus at one time, yes I'm that old); is there a primary program you find that meets your needs without having to adjust a lot?

4. WS4 or WS5? Taste great/less filling? As I can be simple minded looking for a simple explanation as to pro/cons of each?

Thanks.

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 I don’t live in SC or even the USA but the 9” coil X35 does a great job especially in wooded areas because it can get into the thick brush.

2 XP has the best warranty in the business and it takes care of claims quickly and easily thru the Boston distributor.

3 once you find a setting you like it becomes set it and forget it.

4 Personnally I really like the WS4 puck with the adapter for any headphone over the full headset. I turn on the puck and place it in my top pocket with a set of earbuds (apple great sound)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. I have hunted the low country to South Carolina. On several different occasions. I recommend the 9" elliptical HF coil under all circumstances. 2nd choice HF round.

2. No problems with it breaking. I did get an extra charging clip but it has been reengineered and they are dirt cheap so I keep an extra clip and charging cable here. I also tend to misplace stuff.

3. Put it on the factory preset of "Deus Fast", it will whip a signal to the ground and back and get between nails in house sites. No need to adjust anything else but use tracking ground balance and once you set it up it doesn't matter WHAT you go over. Unless it's a buried car! I like the highest frequency.

4. WS4 - I don't think I miss anything and you can hear idiots and animals sneaking around you.

Last edited:

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the 9" round HF and WS4. I have the 9" x35 coil that came with my Deus but it hasn't seen the light of day since i bought the 9"HF.
I truly like my WS4s because I never have to remove them to listen to someone talk etc...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I need to send in the unit as the W5 cuff clip broke, but due to COVID-call back, pinpointer won't stay connected-down version #-I would if I didn't have an Apple-11" coil won't connect-probably something to do with not having the latest version. Have a thumb print shadow on screen-Due to COVID couldn't send in - please call before sending in unit. (This is nobody's fault-just the new world of things)
So I run the 9" elliptical HF coil as well and it's awesome.
I ran Whites then Minelab from the early explorer-to the 3030. I Bought the Deus from reading the reviews of hunters for a few years and haven't thought about ever changing to anything else. Light weight-instead of the boat actor weight of the Minelabs.
I have hit certain site permissions many times over with the Minelabs and from detecting for 5 decades I probably have a grip on how. But when a machine can tweak out the number of finds that were missed I can say it wasn't the operator.
I run the full cuff-as I'm on private permissions or in the bush-animals don't bother me as there's not enough meat left on the bones.
I like the ear protection from the weather/wind especially.
I run the machine like Smokey pointed out in fast-but wide open as I like to hear everything. I will play with the settings when in a site as to what I'm hearing.
I still haven't hit the 1000 hrs mark I believe so it's still not a full on knowing the machine. (I figure it takes a 1000 hrs to know what and everything it is talking about)
Over all I would give the machine a 8.5/10 rating as thee's a few things that I scratch the noodle over still and wonder why they do that.

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys down south must have some really nasty soil to need to use the HF coils. I have the both the 9" HF and 9" X35 and my full time choice is the X35 all the way.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys down south must have some really nasty soil to need to use the HF coils. I have the both the 9" HF and 9" X35 and my full time choice is the X35 all the way.

Actually the soil here in the coastal side is sandy for the most part. I have also hunted the silty mud cake soil in Louisiana and the iron rich soil of Virginia and hands down SC has the better soil to hunt in of the three. Tuning detectors in Louisiana soil is not bad, but the soil conditions wreak havoc on the relics there.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally like the more distinct tones I get with the HF... but maybe it’s just me... :dontknow:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Da Hole, I don't know what it is about the 9" elliptical HF coil running a screaming 74khz, the highest in the industry, but veferrari here on tnet calls it my little laser. I don't miss much (that I know of)! har har har

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
There is only two XP coils I use for beach work. The HF Elliptical and the HF Round coils. Love them both. The WS5 HP are my choice for windy beaches.

EDISTOAWB

Mar 27, 2019
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TECH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.
My 2 hunting buddies ad I all deus xp5 and love it. You have the availability to preprogrammed up to I think 12 custom programs plus the preprogrammed factory 8. Once that is done it's quite easy to switch between them in the field. Lots of programs on line.
I have a 9 and 11 inch coil and have only used the 9. We detect in colonial to civil war sites with lots iron. Our motto is "look another f'n square nail ". The custom programs really discriminate the trash out well
Still learning the machine. 2 us belt plates, 2 gold rings, 1/2 dozen union buttons, lots of flat buttons and pre civil agricultural relics, 1856 seated liberty guarter.
Great machine. Can be intimidating at first. Read the manual thoroughly and preprogrammed is the key. Still good right out of the boe with factory programs !

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi.
My 2 hunting buddies ad I all deus xp5 and love it. You have the availability to preprogrammed up to I think 12 custom programs plus the preprogrammed factory 8. Once that is done it's quite easy to switch between them in the field. Lots of programs on line.
I have a 9 and 11 inch coil and have only used the 9. We detect in colonial to civil war sites with lots iron. Our motto is "look another f'n square nail ". The custom programs really discriminate the trash out well
Still learning the machine. 2 us belt plates, 2 gold rings, 1/2 dozen union buttons, lots of flat buttons and pre civil agricultural relics, 1856 seated liberty guarter.
Great machine. Can be intimidating at first. Read the manual thoroughly and preprogrammed is the key. Still good right out of the boe with factory programs !

Thanks! If I read your user name right you are fellow diggers just to the north of me.:thumbsup: I have decided to go with the Deus with the 9" elliptical. Not sure yet which additional larger coil (11' or 13") I will add later on for when I am in the wilderness looking for sites. Figured I better get my head into learning the machine first.

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Deus. Go slow and take your time at first. You can make the Deus into 1000 different detectors and that's where a lot of people go wrong and overload their brains with this machine. Pick a factory program or at least one single program if you use someone else's program and stick with it until you start to understand what it is telling you. I see way too many people trying dozens of programs out from the start and just confusing themselves and thus taking 10 times longer to finally understand the Deus and I have also seen a few just get so lost that they give up. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread