DaVincis masterpiece on my wall --- for $5!

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
DaVinci's masterpiece on my wall --- for $5!

With all the hoopla surrounding the book/movie 'The DaVinci Code' most people are now probably familiar with "The Last Supper" painted by Leonardo DaVinci. He was truly the most profound genius of his time (the 1500's and possibly of all times).
Yesterday, while driving over to my place for a visit my "work wife" (see my previous posts under 'general discussion' for an explanation) noticed a garage sale. She came in with a bunch of shelves and baskets none of which I needed of course, but I couldn't let her know that.... :wink:
She talked me into going back there with her. It was a small very non-descript house in a very hum-drum type of neighborhood, see also --- don't expect too much here.
My treasure hunter's eye was soon engaged though by a huge wall tapestry of the above masterpiece. It has the feel of a fleece blanket, but is probably silk and measures 6 & 1/2 feet long by 4 feet tall! Takes up almost the entire wall in my living room. Of course, like a procrastinator I didn't immediately buy it because it was too early for haggling and I wasn't convinced I really wanted it yet.
We came home and after she left she called me before heading out to work. I told her: "Honey, pick up that tapestry we saw, but don't pay more than $5." She argued that was way too low and that she'd never get it for that. But she underestimated her skills in sales from her job at the local SEARS jewelry counter. She went back and practically stole the thing by accosting the lady in charge and boldy saying she "only had $5 left and wanted it". The lady wanted to think about it of course, but my lovely "work wife" simply wouldn't take no for an anwser. She then ran, not walked back to her car and to my place.
To say it really lights up the whole place now on my wall is a severe understatement, unfortunately I don't have a reliable digital camera to post a pic. :(
I would estimate its retail sale value at between $300 & $1,000 although she assures me she's seen smaller ones go for much more. Any comments or thoughts on value would be appreciated. This is by far my garage sale find of the century so far!!!
HH
-spyguy

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Re: DaVinci's masterpiece on my wall --- for $5!

Try googling Last Supper Tapestry.....theres' a pretty wide price range for them depending on which kind you have...hope yours is worth some bucks...

S

stefen

Re: DaVinci's masterpiece on my wall --- for $5!

A rule of thumb is 'One mans (womens) junk is another man's treasure'.

So if $5 is your limit...then move on an don't look back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread