100.7 KB · Views: 442
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
the middle roman looks familiar! or the hat does :D looks silverish too!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:

Its a silver plated Antoninanus

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how you do it, stay home when Cru'dad goes hunting. I could never do that, would be itching to find something too. Or are you resting your arm/back....?

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds by Crudad and yourself from the previous posts! Take care of the arm dude, I went through some serious agony with mine and it is not 100%. The Autumn harvest season is opening hardcore and I have several areas I have been detecting and waiting for a few more fields. HH, Mike

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader,

You and I are similar hunters--gridding off an area to make sure we get all of the good finds there. When you hunt lots of area, you have to grid it off. Many detectorists don't realize this. Otherwise, the though of what you missed will give you cold sweats at night!

Some of it is slow, but that's the way it goes. You've had some Incredible finds here recently. Now you're doing your penance.

Keep it up.

-Buckleboy

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Crusader,

You and I are similar hunters--gridding off an area to make sure we get all of the good finds there. When you hunt lots of area, you have to grid it off. Many detectorists don't realize this. Otherwise, the though of what you missed will give you cold sweats at night!

Some of it is slow, but that's the way it goes. You've had some Incredible finds here recently. Now you're doing your penance.
Keep it up.
-Buckleboy

I agree with gridding off an area if you have the time, and the field has delivered some nice finds. I usually don't have the time to grid it off, but if I can see my footsteps (rolled ground) then walking first north-south, then east-west and then again on a diagonal to the footsteps works good for me. I guess this is the poor man's gridding.
I usually do this for every field, again 1) if I have the time 2) I have found something good or interesting.

If there are good finds and I have the time I have gridded off a few fields (small ones). First run n-s say 40 finds, e-w run then about 15 finds, and diagonally about 5. Just an estimate.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woody50 said:
BuckleBoy said:
Crusader,

You and I are similar hunters--gridding off an area to make sure we get all of the good finds there.  When you hunt lots of area, you have to grid it off.  Many detectorists don't realize this.  Otherwise, the though of what you missed will give you cold sweats at night! 

Some of it is slow, but that's the way it goes.  You've had some Incredible finds here recently.  Now you're doing your penance.
Keep it up.
-Buckleboy

I agree with gridding off an area if you have the time, and the field has delivered some nice finds.  I usually don't have the time to grid it off, but if I can see my footsteps (rolled ground) then walking first north-south, then east-west and then again on a diagonal to the footsteps works good for me.  I guess this is the poor man's gridding. 
I usually do this for every field, again 1) if I have the time 2) I have found something good or interesting.

If there are good finds and I have the time I have gridded off a few fields (small ones).  First run n-s say 40 finds, e-w run then about 15 finds, and diagonally about 5.  Just an estimate.

I grid in only two directions--but targets are bigger here, on average, than there (fewer tiny coins and cut coins to be found here)--and also it seems that goodies here get plowed to the top, while anything large ends up at the bottom of the plow zone. Usually seems that N/S and E/W are adequate. I have VERY few returns on another pass, or diagonal pass. Most of the time I come away empty handed at that point.

-Buckles

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

I have learned something. I didn't know the Romans silver plated coins.
Dman

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy said:
Crusader,

Keep it up.

-Buckleboy

I gridded off an area this summer because of the size and pulled that nice LC that I had missed before.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonel Dman said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

I have learned something. I didn't know the Romans silver plated coins.
Dman

The technical term is silver 'wash'. This were in the later years when they were running low on silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread